Johnson Motor question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firescooby

Reaction score
Found a 1967 Johnson 20hp motor.

Last run 4 years ago, needs points (new points are included). Said carb would need cleaning from not running of course.

Guy was askin $300, got him down to $250.

How does this deal sound?

How hard is it to change points (know nothing of points).

Anything to look at on these motors?

Thanks in advance!!

Yep, it's a short shaft.
The best test before buying is to run it on a boat.
The lower unit can't be tested in a barrel demo.
It needs to be put under load.
That said, $250 doesn't sound bad around my neck of the woods.

edit: After re-reading your post. I see it may not be in running condition.
Then its more of gamble. But you can check compression and LU lube
and decide if its worth it.

FS

I bought a '66 20 HP earlier this year. I paid $350 for mine, it was missing the shift lever handle, but ran decent. So far so good. I'm not able to answer your points questions.

Once you have access to the points, you may want to think of converting to electronic ignition. I bought an old 15hp Johnson from a guy who rebuilds outboards in his garage. He converted it to electronic ignition and I never had problems with starting or running while I had that motor.

Well, went to get the motor and....flywheel wouldn't budge!!

Took compression tester and never got that far.

Should I assume the worst? Guy said that the last time he pulled it (3-6 months ago), it would pull freely.

What all could it be? Didn't buy it, but left the door open in case it works out.

Thanks

Firescooby said:
Well, went to get the motor and....flywheel wouldn't budge!!

Took compression tester and never got that far.

Should I assume the worst? Guy said that the last time he pulled it (3-6 months ago), it would pull freely.

What all could it be? Didn't buy it, but left the door open in case it works out.

Thanks

Good move. Keep walking. =D>

I bought a 65 hp Merc that wouldn't turn over.Bought it for $50 & took it home.Took lower unit off & the motor turned over.Took compression couldn't believe it 160# all 4 holes.Still have motor,I had a lower for it, runs like a top.

Latest posts