Evinrude 25hp throttle problem, wont go full throttle, HELP!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay D

Reaction score
Just purchased a 1648 that came with a 1988 25hp evinrude. I took it out with the original owner and when he had the throttle on full and we were just barely moving, so I tried the throttle. It did the same thing for me, until I twisted the throttle as hard I could and the engine finally responded and put the boat on plane and pushed it quite well. It was like it had slack in the cable or something like that. It would be too hard to twist it like that everyday to make the engine perform. What is the problem and or adjustment to fix this. He also said the engine kill switch was broken and/or bypassed if that makes a difference.

Little more information would be helpful. Is the engine a remote controlled engine? You mentioned cables but also mentioned the twist grip.
What control box, if equipped? Is it the single handle or the older double handle control? Makes a difference in the answer.
What year is the engine? There is a tag on the port side transom bracket that will have numbers and letters on it. Copy them and let us know. That also makes a difference as to whether or not you have a cable between your twist grip or the more simple gear set up. You can look under the cowl for this as well and let us know if you want. Gears should be visible where the tiller handle ends at the engine if equipped.

Ok Pappy, heres what I think I have. 1988 evinrude 25hp, model #E25TECEM, serial #R08189820, tiller steering, electric start, I believe there is cable throttle because thats what is coming out of the handle. Any Help would be appreciated. THANK YOU :mrgreen:

Easiest way to troubleshoot anything mechanical is to try and divide the issue into parts. Yours is easy. Remove the cable end where it attaches to the mag plate (the part under the flywheel) and rotate the twist grip. Does the handle or twist grip now move freely? If not, it probably needs a new cable. If it does then move the mag plate by hand, does it move freely? If not, the flywheel must come off then the mag plate assembly then clean, re-lube, and re-install.

Latest posts