Damaged carburetor fuel nipple

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Yachtsman

Reaction score
My outboard is a 1986 Johnson J60ELCD. One of the three carburetors has a damaged fuel nipple. It looks like the previous owner sheared it off at the carb body and tried to repair it with some sort of epoxy. As I was tinkering with the outboard, the entire repair job fell apart. I went looking for the piece in some online schematics and can't even find it in the diagram. Any ideas on where to look for a replacement or how to repair this correctly? The picture below is what the nipple looks like on the undamaged middle carb. It's near the top of the carb on the back towards the manifold.
8140c1b7.jpg

spotco2 said:
Is #6 it?

https://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1986/J60ELCDS/CARBURETOR/parts.html

No, #6 doesn't appear to be the right piece. That is the main fuel intake and it's much larger. The one I need comes in from the fuel primer switch, according to my manual. That's the only schematic I can find, too. I'm going to take the carb over to a marine store here in town today and see what their mechanic recommends. I appreciate the help.

crazymanme2 said:
Drill the old piece out & epoxy a new piece in.Hobby shop should have that small of a fitting.

Yeah, that's basically what the previous owner tried. He engineered it, and I guess it worked for him, but I would like to fix it correctly if possible. Thanks for the idea.

Oh man, I got lucky today! The marine shop I took my carb to had a similar model on a bad motor and they were willing to let me pirate the good nipple from their carb. I was able to get out both nipples with a punch and VERY GENTLY tap the good one back into my carb. Best of all, they didn't even charge me for the part! Maybe the holiday spirit is already spreading around. =D>