looking for help with outboard selection

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I grew up around boats and I feel that I had an honest grasp on the engines that were on the market 20-30 years ago. However, times have changed and so have boat motors. With so many different choices and vastly different designs today, I feel like I don't know where to start.

I fully understand that most of these topics are nothing more than ford/chevy opinions, but I am hoping to find which outboards offer the best performance in hole-shot and reliability for a jon-boat. Right now I'm thinking about Suzuki or Evinrude E-tec motors. Is there something else out there that is better? Is there a reason to shy away from one of these motors? Honestly, I want a 2-stroke (e-tec) because of the size, weight and torque. Perhaps the newer 4-strokers are just as small, light and torquey?

The 60 hp E-TEC weighs the same as the 50 hp. I have a 60 E-TEC JET and love it. Runs great and uses little gas. But as you said, it's a CHEVY/FORD debate. My only problem is this past year I have been to busy to use it but my son is getting a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Latest posts