Tilt Pin Position Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medicman619

Reaction score
Upon a suggestion from fellow forum members, I purchased a stainless steel threaded rod to replace my missing tilt pin. Where should I place the pin to start off? From what I understand, it has a lot to do with weight distribution in the boat, but in general the fartherst hole from the transom is used for more weight in the bow (i.e. a 2nd person). Is that a fair assessment :?:

If the motor is positioned so that the prop is CLOSEST to the boat ( in)..then the bow is forced down and the motor gets up on plane more easily...but normally is slowest in speed

If the motor is positioned so that the prop is FURTHEST from the boat (out), then the boat's bow is UP and the boat will run the fastest at full speed...but is difficult to GET UP on plane.

Since you can't change your position "on the fly" as you could with a hydraulic tilt/trim...you have to pick a mid-point. That mid-point can change depending on on number of factors....how many passengers; weight and position of your gas tank; batteries, tackle boxes; etc.

Start in the middle and experiment.

R

richg99 said:
If the motor is positioned so that the prop is CLOSEST to the boat ( in)..then the bow is forced down and the motor gets up on plane more easily...but normally is slowest in speed

If the motor is positioned so that the prop is FURTHEST from the boat (out), the the boat's bow is UP and the boat will run the fastest at full speed...but is difficult to get up on plane.

Since you can't change your position "on the fly" as you could with a hydraulic tilt/trim...you have to pick a mid-point. That mid-point can change depending on on number of factors....how many passengers; weight and position of your gas tank; batteries, tackle boxes; etc.

Start in the middle and experiment.

R

Very well said!

I found on my Rude 9.9 that it does the best job for me in the middle.

Being new to motors I had no idea about this...I figured it adjusted for more shallow water...

Great to know! Thanks as always to this forum for being a great resource of info, I learn something new all the time!

:USA1: This helps me a lot. I have a 5hp Briggs and get no speed at all. I will try the pin for speed. :roll:

Latest posts