optimum performance out of 125the force

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

semojetman

Reaction score
Anybody have any tips or tricks to make my motor be the best it can be.

It is a early 90s 125 hp force(mercury).
Runs good but would like to see it sharpen up.

P.s. of course it has a pump on bottum

Make sure the engine is in tip-top shape. Compression test, carbs clean, link & sync, etc. Leave it stock don't try to modify the engine at all, or it will become even more unreliable. If it were me, I'd focus on engine mounting height, prop selection, hull shape, set backs, reducing weight and reducing drag. So many people want to make the engine more powerful but unless you know exactly what you're doing, it's "real" easy to do more bad than good-especially on a two stroke engine. Went through this on my 90 HP Mariner triple.

If this is the inline 6 model there isn't much you can do inside the motor to get any gains. Smaller merc are very limite on mods because of the non removable heads.
Make sure the impeller sharp and shimmed right, take the casting out of the pump. You can adjust the height of the motor just as high as you can get it to keep it from cavitateing when you crank it wide open to plane it out.

How does it do compared the the old yammi?

Dont mention my old yamaha. I miss it.

We got that thing runnin awesome. The exhaust tuner, reids, head, and fresh rebuild and cleanup of everything brought that motor alive. It had a holeshot that would make my buddies with their 150 mercs say "****".

The 90 on my 1648 gps'd at 31mph
the 125 on my 1748 gps'd at 36mph

My weldcraft is just a little heavier than my alumaweld did. Both really heavy.

But the mercury has slow boring holeshot. It gets on plain but juat doesnt lay you back. No quick throttle response.

It took my boat breaking down to find out what can be done to make this ol motor run better.
We are going to shave head .080 , adjust reed stops, play with timing, and new plugs.

We sharpened impeller last night and ordered a new sleeve.