9.9 trouble

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BtsNhoS

Reaction score
I have a 9.9 gamefisher I got from a guy for 100 bucks. If I pull it full choke and full throttle I can get it to run for a couple seconds and then die, it obviously has spark and I assume it has good compression so is this a carb issue? I pulled the carb off, what should I look for, how should I clean it and do I need to buy a carb kit to fix it? There is a guy that wants to trade a Johnson 15 for my 9.9 and another small motor but he wants it to run first and I'm at a lost thanks guys

Buy an OEM carburetor kit and throroughly clean the carburetor. Make sure each and every tube and orifice is cleaned and blown out. Use a piece of copper wire stripped from any coated wire to pass through the lift tube and check orifices with. The reason I say an OEM kit is that these kits come with the newer alcohol resistant float assemblies and needle and seats as well. Very thorough kit.
Simple way to test your fuel pump is to simply pump the primer bulb which takes the place of the fuel pump. If the engine runs normally while pumping the primer bulb and dies a couple minutes later when not pumping then you have a pump issue. According to what I read you have a carb issue.
Sometimes you have to watch the helpful comments on here as many will cost you needless extra work. When I search for information I usually find myself looking at the profiles to help me determine who may have accurate information. It helps sometimes!

Pappy said:
Buy an OEM carburetor kit and throroughly clean the carburetor. Make sure each and every tube and orifice is cleaned and blown out. Use a piece of copper wire stripped from any coated wire to pass through the lift tube and check orifices with. The reason I say an OEM kit is that these kits come with the newer alcohol resistant float assemblies and needle and seats as well. Very thorough kit.
Simple way to test your fuel pump is to simply pump the primer bulb which takes the place of the fuel pump. If the engine runs normally while pumping the primer bulb and dies a couple minutes later when not pumping then you have a pump issue. According to what I read you have a carb issue.
Sometimes you have to watch the helpful comments on here as many will cost you needless extra work. When I search for information I usually find myself looking at the profiles to help me determine who may have accurate information. It helps sometimes!
thanks. yeah i always search the forum/google before a question and i had done alot of it with some success, each thing i have looked at pointed to the carb issue which is why i pulled it off. what i didnt know about was the oem kit. is there any certain type of oem kit that i need to be looking for?

yes the primer bulb does pump up and become hard after a couple pumps.

Sounds like the motor is locked up. Hopefully, you're close and I can come haul it off for ya. :LOL2:

Sounds like you have a carb issue, and I hope the rebuild does the trick. $100 for a 9.9 sounds like a deal. I'm on the lookout for one myself.

Be sure to check and make sure that the needle and seat are clean from my experience they get a green film on them from the oil in the gas. I got a 7.5 gamefisher that was my grandpa's and its got a Tecumseh powerhead and it done the same thing when I got it. Cleaned the carb runs like a champ. I use tip cleaner for cutting torch to clean the passages in the carb.

Steve

Brine said:
Sounds like the motor is locked up. Hopefully, you're close and I can come haul it off for ya. :LOL2:

Sounds like you have a carb issue, and I hope the rebuild does the trick. $100 for a 9.9 sounds like a deal. I'm on the lookout for one myself.

I'll sell it, I just got my 7.5 running awesome pm me if you want

acwd said:
Be sure to check and make sure that the needle and seat are clean from my experience they get a green film on them from the oil in the gas. I got a 7.5 gamefisher that was my grandpa's and its got a Tecumseh powerhead and it done the same thing when I got it. Cleaned the carb runs like a champ. I use tip cleaner for cutting torch to clean the passages in the carb.

Steve
Awesome thanks I'll check everything and I'm golf to get the oem kit here soon

I'm having the same problem with a Johnson 9.9. It started great on electrical start without fail after I bought it last year, ran it six times last fall, bought the manual, did all the things I was supposed to do before storing it in the barn for the winter...cleaned the tank, fogged the cylinders, burned the gas out of the carb, etc. Didn't get back to it all summer, long story, until a few weeks ago. Put in fresh gas and oil and a shot of SeaFoam, ran it in a tub here at the house, seemed to be good. Worked with electrical or pull start. Got it to the lake last week, ran it for a couple of minutes at the dock, peeing water like it's supposed to, put it in reverse and got 15 feet from the dock. Stalled. No joy. Back at the ranch today, it did the same thing for about a minute.
I have no indoor heated shop to work on it, getting too cold outside, must put it away for the winter and tackle it again in spring.
Question: In the tub, the water intake is covered with water up to the cavitation plate, but not the out-take (it was squirting fine at the lake). Did I screw up there?

From what I'm reading above, I also have a fuel supply problem. Yes, no, suggestions?

Thanks...

Latest posts