1984 Johnson Outboard

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrawhide

Reaction score
I have a quandry -
Just bought a 20' Lowe Jon Boat and it has a Johnson Sea Horse 40 engine according to the cowling decal.
However, the model number shows J60TLCRE which translates to a 60 hp. Just wondering if cowling can be changed from other units? I am assuming that this is a 60hp. There is a solar panel attached to the top of the cowl to keep batteries charged i guess. It also has a jet lower unit, and again, i assume that this was added later as it is a red color and the rest is gray. Any help would be appreciated.
thanx
rrawhide

Did you try looking up the serial # to see what it translates to? I know that cowling are switchable on some of the smaller motors like a 9.9 to a 15 so it wouldn't surprise me that some of the larger engines were the same.

thanx for the reply

I tried to find out about the serial number but kept hitting dead ends.

If you have something the serial number is J5987676. Johnson Sea Horse

Thanx

rrawhide :)

60hp power head, on a jet is equivalent to a 40hp outboard. either it was a dealer conversion, a rebuild using a donor power head, or the factory got sloppy with the mod/serial# tag. most likely dealer conversion.

Latest posts