Mariner 9.9?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobscreekboy

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with Mariners? I have never personally used one nor do I know anyone who has. Found one local for sale at a good price but wanted to ask all you experts on here about it. Thanks in advance!

The only experience I've had with them was a 25 hp my brother bought back in the 80's. He used it for fishing and duck hunting. It started to have some problems dying at idle. I cleaned and adjusted the carb and gave it a basic tune up and it ran great for many more years as I used it quite frequently. It was a pull start only and started very easy in any weather. A couple of his buddies had Nissan and Johnson 25's and he could out run either of them so it appeared to have a slight edge in power over those.

A good friend of mine has a 94 mariner 40. It runs great and he has never had any problems. It's a little hard to start but that's because he does not run it very often (He keeps it at his camp, and when he goes, I normally go with him). They were made by yamaha in the 70s and early 80s, I believe, but then were made by mercury from then on. My father had a mariner back in the 90's on a bay boat and had no problems other then it being cold natured. They are good motors

We stopped selling them in '93. I started working there in '92. In '94 we started selling Yamaha. Should have kept Mariners. We do not make anything off of repairing/servicing Yamaha. Might see one a week now. Thank goodness we service other stuff. I've got an older 90 HP mariner. Decent motor. Not nearly as smooth as a Yamaha of that same age. But it gets the job done and has only let me down once. Boss still has a '91 model 25 Mariner. Single carb-idles rougher than the twin carb Yammies do. Also a little harder to start but once it's running, it just runs. Come to think of it, I don't think he's used it in about 5 years or so.

Some of the Mariners were Yamaha powerheads. I don't recall which ones...some of the 40's for sure. The Mariner/Mercury company (Brunswick Marine) is about like OMC with the johnson/evinrudes. Merc and Mariner are more or less the same motors but with some minor differences like paint, color, stickers, etc.

I had a 1977 15hp mariner, it was japanese built, worked ok for me for about 20 years (could have idled a little better when trolling), just got rid of it. I bought it used with my old lund boat.
Tim

I'm running a 1983 25 hp mariner on my duck boat. It was built by Yamaha and is working great. What year is the Mariner your looking at?

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
I'm running a 1983 25 hp mariner on my duck boat. It was built by Yamaha and is working great. What year is the Mariner your looking at?
I'm not sure actually. There's just an ad in the local classifieds for a 9.9 Mariner asking $300. I talked to the woman and she knows nothing about it and I brought the price down to $200 assuming everything works ok.

$200. and if it runs,I,d buy it without even blinking,them motors werent built in China after all,go for it would be my advise....

Latest posts