Prop recommendations?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guygasm

Reaction score
Got a 14' tin boat, decked fwd, no other major mods. Got a 9.9 yammie 4 stroke. Any recommendations on prop pitch. Looking for top end over hole-shot, but somewhere in the middle might be ok. boat is usually operated toward max weight.

Thanks

Does your boat even get on plane with the 9.9? When my 14ft boat is loaded near max weight even a 15hp will not plane it so prop selection if you are not going to make plane will be different.

I would go with lower pitch if you were going to run heavy. Like an 8 or 9 pitch probably, this will allow your motor to run at recommended WOT.

I will start off by saying I am no prop expert of any kind. Just guessing you proballey have a 8.5" or 9" diameter prop with something around a 9" pitch if it is the factory 3 blade prop. If running heavy, lowering you pitch could help getting you up on plane (maybe 8" or 7" pitch)

Like I said I am no expert, good luck, hope you find something that works for you. If you do let us know!

What prop is on the motor now?

What is your maximum RPM as it is right now?

RPM range of a 2000's model F9.9 is 4500-5500 RPM, and I stress running it up around the maximum but not much over (if any). Rev limit @ ~5800.

I believe (Going off of memory here) that they come stock with a 9x9 weedless prop. If you have a prop on it now, try it and record the max RPM you can achieve with a normally loaded boat. If it's close to 5500, you're good to go. Without a tach, you cannot properly tune the prop-plain and simple.

Not much in the way of aftermarket props for the little motors, unfortunately. Besides, Yamaha does a good job picking a good all-around prop for the little motors that are shipped with props factory installed (up to 25 HP). I think Solas might make a stainless for those small motors, but not sure they're worth the money on a little 9.9. At best it might be worth 1 mph over a 3 blade aluminum that isn't bent up or nicked horribly.

Latest posts