**HELP** Honda BF8A Shifting problems

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonBoatfever

Reaction score
Well, I am not gettin any help on my boat thread, so I figured I would post it here. My problem is my motor wont shift into reverse. Neutral and forward fine, but it seems like its jammed on somthing and wont go into reverse. Could it be the shirft linkage? Not even sure what that is? Check out my build in my sig for more information. Its a 2000 honda bf8a. I cant look at it at the moment because its at my dads house. I really wanna go fishing this weekend, but I cant go I my reverse doesnt work.

Have you checked to see if the tilt lock mechanism is working properly. If something is blocking it from locking down the engine, it might be preventing the shifter from moving to reverse position.

JMichael said:
Have you checked to see if the tilt lock mechanism is working properly. If something is blocking it from locking down the engine, it might be preventing the shifter from moving to reverse position.

Not sure what that is, can you explain more? Im not very motor savvy.

I REALY REALY REALY HATE paying other people to fix somthing that I can fix, but I dont know that I have another option. If I knew what the problem was Im sure I could fix it, but I have no idea what the problem is. Anymore thoughts?

JonBoatfever said:
JMichael said:

I'll try to answer for JM until he can respond. There is a locking lever that swings horizontally near the end of the tiller to lock the motor in place so it doesn't move side to side while towing. My 15hp Honda has one so I assume yours may also.

nomowork said:
JonBoatfever said:
JMichael said:

I'll try to answer for JBf until he can respond. There is a locking lever that swings horizontally near the end of the tiller to lock the motor in place so it doesn't move side to side while towing. My 15hp Honda has one so I assume yours may also.

If this is the problem, how do I know, and how do I fix it?

JonBoatfever said:

The lever is just a friction lever (bolt and nut going through lever to adjust tension) so unless the lever is in the direct path of the shifter, it would seem to be kind of obvious. I would pop the cowl and move the shifter to watch the linkage inside of the cowl area and look for something that might be obstructing the movement.

OK, I'm not referring to a tension adjuster that affects pressure required for steering changes. I'm talking about the motor tilt. I looked online for documentation on your motor but only found a little info. It suggest that your motor has a manually operated tilt lock that is operated independently of the shift lever. What I couldn't determine for certain was if the tilt lock status would interfere with shifting. It does suggest to me from what I read that it doesn't block the ability to shift in to any position. So the bottom line is that it doesn't appear that this could be related to your problem.

JMichael said:
OK, I'm not referring to a tension adjuster that affects pressure required for steering changes. I'm talking about the motor tilt. I looked online for documentation on your motor but only found a little info. It suggest that your motor has a manually operated tilt lock that is operated independently of the shift lever. What I couldn't determine for certain was if the tilt lock status would interfere with shifting. It does suggest to me from what I read that it doesn't block the ability to shift in to any position. So the bottom line is that it doesn't appear that this could be related to your problem.

Yeah, its defintaly not that, tilt was in the run position, and I run the motor tilted up while loading the boat on the trailer.

nomowork said:
JonBoatfever said:

The lever is just a friction lever (bolt and nut going through lever to adjust tension) so unless the lever is in the direct path of the shifter, it would seem to be kind of obvious. I would pop the cowl and move the shifter to watch the linkage inside of the cowl area and look for something that might be obstructing the movement.

I popped the cowl and couldn't figure anything out. or at least nothing obvious. Where is the friction lever at?

JonBoatfever said:
I called a local marine mechanic and he said it could be a control cable, watcha guys think??

Isn't this a tiller control model? My 15hp has a shift lever, forward for forward and back for reverse. Pop the cowl, shift it between neutral and forward and watch the linkages to see if something is preventing it front moving into reverse. Make sure the motor is in the running position.

nomowork said:
JonBoatfever said:
I called a local marine mechanic and he said it could be a control cable, watcha guys think??

Isn't this a tiller control model? My 15hp has a shift lever, forward for forward and back for reverse. Pop the cowl, shift it between neutral and forward and watch the linkages to see if something is preventing it front moving into reverse. Make sure the motor is in the running position.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. I told him it was a tiller model, but I figured he knows more than me. When I was at my dad's earlier today, I couldnt see anything that was blocking it. I talked to my uncle today about it who is very motor savvy and he told me to take apart the lower unit and see if anything is broken. Not sure about this?? Should I just take the motor into the shop? What are good hourly rates? What do you guys think about the lower unit? I really wanna have this thing fishable by next weekend because I have a 4 day weekend, and its my birthday weekend.

I am still very puzzled, thinking about takin the motor in to a marine mechanic. Maybe getting it fixed could be my birthday present from my dad? You guys all have good points, but I just don't know were to begin.

Latest posts