Need help finding head gasket

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeviaanah

Reaction score
I own a 1962 Gale manufactured Sea King 15HP outboard. A few days ago I ordered quite a bit of parts from marineengine.com. All parts fit but this head gasket. As I compare this head gasket to the old one it is about 1/8" bigger in all directions. This model shares parts with OMC outboards (Evinrude/Johnson) of the same vintage and I was aware some parts may not fit.

The existing gasket and gasket ordered are definitely from the same manufacturer, same logo is stamped and a four digit number is stamped near the logo. The existing head gasket is stamped 3051 and the part sent was 3138. I imagine the gasket sent was for an 18hp motor because there was no 15hp motors made by Evinrude or Johnson in 1962. Pictured is the ordered gasket sitting on top of the existing gasket. You can see the size difference. Can someone help me find this gasket?

tn-1.jpg

Sea King 15HP 2 Stroke
Model number - GG18737C
Year - 1962

Parts ordered were from part catalog 15D13W which is a match to Sea King motors. Head gasket ordered from marineengine.com is part number 203247. Possibly they sent the wrong part? I sent an email to check.

i'll ask are local outboard guy who seems to find every thing !for us here inocala florida !see what I cancome upwith "lets fish salt"

Ordering parts over the net can be frustrating. I've received the wrong impeller, even though the numbers say it was the correct one. Once, I even ordered a buck something gasket from a local marine repair shop just so I could see it before I paid for it but it never arrived!

Then there is my local Toyota dealer............sorry, going off in a different tangent!

nomowork said:
Ordering parts over the net can be frustrating. I've received the wrong impeller, even though the numbers say it was the correct one. Once, I even ordered a buck something gasket from a local marine repair shop just so I could see it before I paid for it but it never arrived!

Then there is my local Toyota dealer............sorry, going off in a different tangent!
Yea I hear you on that one!
lets fish salt said:
i'll ask are local outboard guy who seems to find every thing !for us here inocala florida !see what I cancome upwith "lets fish salt"
Right on lets fish salt, i appreciate you doing that for me.

I imagine the gasket sent was for an 18hp motor because there was no 15hp motors made by Evinrude or Johnson in 1962.

From what I can see in the pic, it looks like the new gasket was made for something with a bigger bore so maybe it was for a 20-25hp of the same era/engine model.