Nice score off of Craigslist. 15hp. Johnson.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tracker1436

Reaction score
Hey guys, just bragging about my score from Craigslist.
I picked up a 1979 Johnson 15R79E 15 HP. motor from a gentleman recently. It shows very little use, but has some fading of the paint from sitting outside in the sun. The guy couldn't get it running because of a bad fuel pump, so it sat. I checked the compression, and had 100# in the top cylinder, and 105# in the bottom. Under the cowel is in great shape, and the tape strip on the top cylinder spark plug wire telling what plugs to use is even still there. So far I have replaced the fuel pump, which was cracked on the outlet hose nipple. Rebuilt the carburator, replaced the water pump assembly and thermostat, changed the oil in the lower unit, and set the sync on the carb/throttle cam. The motor has a strong spark on both cylinders, so I am going to hold off on replacing any ignition components other than the spark plugs. It should make my 14' Tracker move rather nicely. The price: $175.00. \:D/

Pics:

motors1.JPG

engine1.JPG

sticker1.JPG

I think with a little bit of elbow grease, and some new paint she'll clean up nicely.

Tracker1436 said:
Hey guys, just bragging about my score from Craigslist.
I picked up a 1979 Johnson 15R79E 15 HP. motor from a gentleman recently. It shows very little use, but has some fading of the paint from sitting outside in the sun. The guy couldn't get it running because of a bad fuel pump, so it sat. I checked the compression, and had 100# in the top cylinder, and 105# in the bottom. Under the cowel is in great shape, and the tape strip on the top cylinder spark plug wire telling what plugs to use is even still there. So far I have replaced the fuel pump, which was cracked on the outlet hose nipple. Rebuilt the carburator, replaced the water pump assembly and thermostat, changed the oil in the lower unit, and set the sync on the carb/throttle cam. The motor has a strong spark on both cylinders, so I am going to hold off on replacing any ignition components other than the spark plugs. It should make my 14' Tracker move rather nicely. The price: $175.00. \:D/

Yes, that is a very nice score. If you have good wires and you are getting good spark, then no need to replace your ignition unless you notice the coils coverings are compromised.

You will notice a big difference in hole shot and speed with the 15hp Johnson compared to the 9.5hp Evinrude. I have both motors and they both run well but my 1984 15hp Evinrude makes my 14ft Monark aluminum boat fly. With me and all my stuff in the boat, I get 24mph on the water. With 2 people and equipment I get about 20mph on the water.

Congrats, I hope she runs fine. Take good care of that motor and do your yearly maintenance and you will have a very good motor for a very long time.

:D :D =D> =D>

Latest posts