What's it worth ???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNtroller

Reaction score
Found a BRAND NEW/never been in the water 25hp 4 stroke Merc tiller on a BRAND NEW/never been in the water 14' tracker deep V, on a new trailer, w/ FF & gas tank. what ya'll think?? Not a dealer, an individual has it for sale, lives on a lake ???? haven't seen it yet, just wondering if something like this could be real ??

Well it doesn't matter much if it hasn't 'seen water'...if its a private sale it has to be assumed that it is used and as such you ought to be getting a significantly better deal than buying it new from a dealer. If it is in private hands it isn't new it is second hand/used. That's just my $0.02 on buying anything. Some guys understand that concept and will price discount it accordingly, others will try to offer you a 5-10% discount if that...and to me that just isn't worth it.

Jdholmes said:
Well it doesn't matter much if it hasn't 'seen water'...if its a private sale it has to be assumed that it is used and as such you ought to be getting a significantly better deal than buying it new from a dealer. If it is in private hands it isn't new it is second hand/used. That's just my $0.02 on buying anything. Some guys understand that concept and will price discount it accordingly, others will try to offer you a 5-10% discount if that...and to me that just isn't worth it.

Maybe I didn't explain it well, but I realize the rig is "used" since an individual is trying to sell it. The point I was trying to make was that someone lives on a lake, and bought a NEW boat 4 years ago, and then NEVER put it in the water. Now they/someone wants to sell it. Now, I understand things can happen, life happens, possibly a death soon after buying, etc., but to have NEVER put a new boat in the water, and it sit in the garage for 4 yrs, just seems a bit odd to me.

it does sound very strange i know that it wouldn't happen if i had bought the boat
did they by chance have a bigger boat?
i had my tin that sat for 4 years before i sold it but i purchased a new Triton that was used every week
as far as what it is worth... my feeling on boat prices is as long as you feel that you got a fair value that is what counts

I just bought a 98 5hp Yamaha that was so clean you could eat off it.. Not a scratch on the cowl. Seller even said it hadn't been used in salt water. It wasn't pumping properly so I tore off the foot last night to replace the impeller and it has a lot of corrosion and internal damage from not being flushed properly. Aside from it only wanting to pump half the time it looks and runs like a gem. Internally is another story. Easiest way to tell if there has been use is to look closely at the prop. If a salt water motor you could pull the thermostat and look inside the housing.

If the seller is asking close to what a new motor costs I'd pass. At least with a new purchase you would have a warranty and knowledge of it's history. Run it first before you make an offer. To find it's value figure out what new costs and subtract a couple hundred if it's a recent mfg.

I'm guessing the rig is worth $3K-$3500. Is this the kind of boat your looking for or are you just interested because its new but for a semi-used price?

It's a fresh water lake where the boat is, so I doubt if the rig ever even smelled salt air, but you never know. I'm a bit interested as I would like a project boat to piddle on, but its a 14 footer, so that knocks my level of interest down. I don't think I would buy a new boat and then just park it in the garage unless my health took a bad turn before I could put it in the water. But bad things happen to people for no reason at all. The Picture showed a nice boat, would make someone a good 1st boat if they wanted a V hull, and then fix it/mod it to suit their needs, but the statement of new boat never in the water and 4 y/o just caught my eye and seemed a bit odd.

Latest posts