Need parts for an 82 Johnson 9.9hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMichael

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking at the possibility of acquiring the motor in the thread title to go on my 12' boat. It's just a little too slow with the 3.9hp I currently have on it. I haven't done enough test on it yet like compression, spark, etc yet, but before I get in to it that far, I know it's going to be in need of some parts. So I thought I'd check to see if anyone here might have a parts engine that they were selling parts of off before I start hitting up all the salvage yards. The first thing I know it's going to need is the gear on the tiller where if folds back. The shaft is ok and the engine side gear looks ok but the tiller gear has some teeth worn off. If you have one you'd be willing to sell some parts off of, send me a PM or reply here please.

Ebay is always a good source for parts like that and also check the marinas around that had a rental fleet. For a long time alot of rental fleets were using that engine platform for rentals. They should have what you need. www.aomci.org is also an excellent source for parts. Someone in there will either have the part you need or be able to recommend where to get them.

You can still get alot if not all of the parts at shop.evinrude.com. It will give you the schematics to make sure you are getting the right part, along with the part numbers.

I searched the amoci for sale section and it seems that 99% of what they deal with are substantially older than this motor.

If I have to resort to buying new parts from a dealer, the cost of this engine plus the cost of repairing it and the time/labor to fix it, it really negates any savings I might gain by going this route. I think I'm going to pass on this one and keep looking for a running motor. Thanks for the replies.

Check your model # , a schematics drawing and parts list, and stay on ebay... I get most of my parts for my '79 9.9 Johnson there...Lots of the Johnson 9.9's used the exact same part for years...

LureheadEd said:
Check your model # , a schematics drawing and parts list, and stay on ebay... I get most of my parts for my '79 9.9 Johnson there...Lots of the Johnson 9.9's used the exact same part for years...
I've been doing that but the part hasn't been available so far. The only option that has appeared on ebay so far is to buy a complete tiller for 50-70 dollars just to get the gear.

OK, I'll give that a try Pappy.

Latest posts