Buying a used motor...what to look for

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ol sarge

Reaction score
I am in the market for a good used motor. My concern is that i really do not know what to look for and I dont want to end up with a boat anchor. I am looking for something in the 9-15 hp range. What are the key things to look for before you lay out the cash?

I want to see the motor run in a barrel not muffs, that way its under a load.

A compression test is always good but not everybody has the guages to do so

The color of a spark plug can tell you a lot about a motor.

Check lower unit oil for water

I pay attention to how much wear are on the bolts threwout the motor. Will give u an idear of how many times its been taken apart.

When you see adds like " needs minor work " run away

You definitely want to see it run in a barrel. Note how long it takes for water to start streaming out. Also ask if it has been run in saltwater, and if so how often it was flushed. Inspect the lower unit for cracks and leaks. Ask if you can see the color of the lower unit oil. This will give you an idea of if it was recently changed, and also look for metal shavings and water in the lower unit oil. In my experience, if there is an issue with a used motor is ususally in the lower unit somewhere.

Just my opinion, but what can you afford? Buying used is always a krap shoot.

When I buy anything used, one thought is too buy the cheapest and look forward to putting time and money into it or buy something a little more expensive and hope I won't have to put a lot of time or money into it. :shock:

A used motor is always a crap shoot but if you listen to all that is said above it will increase the chances of getting a decent motor. Everything said above is great advice. Put the seller through their paces, pay attention to how well they know the motor and ask as many questions as possible. I always walk away if the owner does not know how to operate the motor they are selling. It tells me they probably haven't taken proper care of it or have not had the motor very long which could mean it is a turd they are trying to unload. I also look at condition of the paint, skag and all around wear. If the motor looks like it has been abused on the outside then chances are the inside will look no better. One of the first things I do is fined the model ID number on the block. Do not take their word for what year and HP it is. I have seen so many motors incorrectly advertised. I just bought an 88' 25hp that was listed as an 86' on CL. And this was from a boat mechanic lol. Knowledge is power so before going to look at the motor in person do some quick research of the year and model by googling it. And last but not least, if you are not comfortable that the seller is being 100% straight with you then walk away.

IMO the first thing to check is compression test is the most important. Than make sure there is no water in the lower end. Carbs can be rebuilt cheep. Water pumps fixed cheep ( although if the water pump is gone i would make sure it has not been over heated to often.) But if the compression is low or the gears are chewed up than you have just got your self either a money pit or a very heavy anchor. A compression tester is not that expensive and will save you lots in the long run. Rember a motor with low compression will start and run fine at idle and may even sound fine in a barrel when reved up than when you put it on the back of a boat it is a totaly differant story. Totaly gutless. and the only fix for that is a rebuild witch is usaly not worth the cost on a old motor.

If you don't want to buy a compression tester (I wouldn't), just borrow it from auto zone for free.

Hey Sarge !

Everybody above has given you GREAT advice on what to look for in the condition and operation of the motor.

I use N.A.D.A. for the current AVERAGE RETAIL Selling price....
You can get the price for any boat, motor, or trailer
below is the link for N.A.D.A.....let me know how you made out

https://www.nadaguides.com/Boats

Hey guy's, my name is gene. I buy and sell boats,as well as work on them. Here are some of the methods that i use WHEN I am looking 2 buy a boat or engine. The first thing i ask, is Can i drive it on the water? If they are honest they wont mind. Can i do a compression test? Tell them u want to check and make sure the ignition system is fireing correctly. If you are looking @one they say they don't have the keys to. Tell them you have a remote harness to crank it with. If the person you are dealing with doesn't mind, chance,s are they are not trying to screw you. If they do have a problem with this,WALK AWAY!!!! Before I sell a boat I allway's lak e test them. If I have a problem I fix it and test again. All of the boats i sell are test drive before you buy. I hope this help's IF SOMEONE ASK'S ME ANY OF THESE QUESTION'S, THE ANSWER IS YES. One more thing-(Allway's act confident)- Your first impression will let the seller know where they stand with you. Hope this help's. Good luck.