Anyone ever installed a large outboard on their boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lennyg3

Reaction score
Like the title says. Has anyone ever done their own install/rigging/mounting on a large outboard? (125hp+) I am considering installing my 225/160 optimax myself. I am aware that there is a special hook that threads into the motor on top below the flywheel cover. I have access to a garage with a overhead crane. I guess I'm not too worried about the physical mounting of the engine, but more of the setup/rigging. How hard is it, and are there tips or tricks I should know about. I will also be installing a hot foot throttle for this. What do you do with the tilt/trim switch for a hot foot? sorry for all the questions, but thank you in advance to anyone who can help.

Ive mounted my Merc 115 2 times by myself with a cherry picker. An extra guy helps but with the engine hoist it makes it easy and if you dont have one you can rent one for the day for cheap.

It's easy. Hook on the flywheel, support it, remove transom bolts and reverse the process to install it on the other boat. A couple pointers-slide the steering cable through before bolting it down. Sometimes you can't get enough bend in the cable to get it into the tube after it's bolted down to the transom. Transom bolts don't need to be "that" tight. I think about 40 lb-ft is about all they need, max. I've seen guys use the "more is better" approach and crush the transom. With a 1/2" fine thread bolt torqued to the "normal" 95-105 lb-ft, a LOT of clamp pressure can be placed on the transom. Several tons. Doesn't need to be that tight. I like to measure the width of the boat in several places, top to bottom, and mark the centers of each measurement. Then run a vertical line, and use it to center the outboard. There is a jig made for this purpose. Allows one to use the center reference line to center the jig, then there are holes in the jig that guide the drill bit through in the proper locations. It's slick. But not really needed...in a production atmosphere (dealer) they're awesome.

The PTT switch can be put anywhere. In the dash. On the steering wheel. On the column. Options are almost unlimited. Land and Sea, Southern Marine, Overtons, Cabela's, Bass Pro, etc all have the different style switches and kits. I like it on the column myself but that's just me. Or you can leave it on the control box. Personal preference.

Just make sure the jet intake is high enough. They're miserable to operate if they're too low or too high.

Thanks for all the advice guys! From what you both have said it doesn't seem like too tough of a job. If I do decide to go this route, I will do a write-up. (with many pictures of course lol)

Latest posts