setback plate and engine height

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegr8cody

Reaction score
i know there are alot of topics about this but my situation is a little different i just bought a 95 model fisher Boat and its a 20 inch transom and my motor is a short shaft. So ive heard that with a set back plate you can raise your engine above the normal cavitation plate level with the keel. Im just curious if i build a 6 inch setback plate and possibly lower the engine about 2 inches if that would kinda even things out. Or possibly even an 8 inch setback plate. The motor is just a 25 so its not that heavy and the transom is plenty strong as it had a 40, on it. Thanks for any info

I would guess that if your motor is a short shaft then you would need to get it down about 3-4 inches so I am not sure that a setback plate would be able to compensate for that? I had to put a 5 inch shaft extension on my short shaft when this happened to me, and the I had to build a 1.5 inch tall jack plate to get it right where I wanted it, go figure huh lol.

well i wouldnt mind paying the four hundred for the extension for my motor but this is just for a few months while im saving for a bigger motor. But from what i understand is with a short shaft on a short transom a 6 inch set back will allow you to raise the motor one to two inches. So im assuming doing that and then lowering the motor two to three inches will be will equal around a 4 inch drop which in theory would allow this to work if anyone understands what i mean

Latest posts