new/newer 20hp tohatsu info

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Redmond

Reaction score
Thinking of buying a new 20hp 4 cycle tohatsu,found out that the 15 and 20 hp weigh the same, and its only $200 for the extra 5 horses,dont like the extra weight,but have to get on with the new times I guess,,,anybody got something on them motors?

My Johnson 15 HP 4 stroke is sweet. Heavy as hell, but sweet. It sips gas, runs super quiet while trolling and what-not, less smelly than a 2 stroke, and I don't miss mixing gas. I don't have any experience with the Tohatsu's but it seems like they have a good reputation.

I have some experience with the 20HP Tohatsu.

Not a bad motor. Kind of simple. Kind of cheesy, in my opinion. Made by Nissan. Nissan, Tohatsu, Mercury all are the exact same motor-difference being the paint and stickers. They're identical. The 15 and 20 are the same powerhead, IIRC. Carb is different. Best of my knowledge, nothing else changed other than carbs. Gearcase is noisy. Kind of rough running, IMO, for a 4 stroke but I'm used to Yamaha's and they are a much more refined outboard-but also much more expensive.

I've run the Tohatsu quite a bit over the last 9-10 months. It runs fine. Once it was tough to start initially but it sat for about 2 weeks without being run and the fuel was probably starting to go south. Once it was running it was fine all day long. The river we use it on exclusively is VERY quiet so you can hear noises from a mile away. That noisy gearcase can literally be heard a long way out even just idling in gear. In neutral it's quite audible. In gear it's noisier yet. Annoying at certain engine speeds, say 2000-3000 RPM and then again at about 4000-ish. At slow idle it's not harsh but still annoying.

https://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii94/toddh687/?action=view&current=IMG_0582.mp4

It does have power tilt which is NICE! And it didn't cost that much more to get it that way. Well worth it. The only thing I don't like about the tilt is that it's not trim. It will not tilt while under way with any throttle input other than idle and VERY low RPM/load.

The extra weight of the 4 stroke is definitely worth it. It can be offset somewhat by carrying less fuel. With the 4 stroke, I don't carry much more than a couple gallons. I have a 3 gal tank and it will easily last me all day long even running the river. I also carry a smaller battery. Don't need that great big grp 27 battery that weighs 65 lbs. I just carry a red top optima which is 39 lbs.

I have the mercury version of this motor. And while mine is a 25, I do not experience any of the noises the OP is experiencing.

Jeff