How much speed should I get with my trolling motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catman529

Reaction score
Just lookin for a guestimate here... I will know for sure in a few days when I take the boat out with the motor for the first time.

The boat in question is a '71 aluminum flat bottom, 14 x 32. Narrower means it will go faster, right? It's a skinny boat. Can't weigh any more than 100 pounds. I weigh 135.... add all the gear, just for a rough guess, say 250 pounds payload.

The motor is a 34 lb thrust, I think it's an old Motorguide. Says T34 on it. If it's pushing 34 pounds, what's your guess as to how fast I can get this tin boat moving? I'd be happy with 2-5 mph.

Oh you should be able to get to 3-5 mph without a problem unless it is really windy and choppy

I would think with a good battery 5 mph should be no problem. Electric motors only run so fast regardless of load, even a light canoe will only go about 7-8 mph one electric power. Sounds like you should have a motor/power for your boat.

If its an older trolling motor (not a newer one with sophisticated electronics) they'll go faster with a 16v battery. Dad's got a 1432, just a bare boat. Goes into the back of the truck. Pull the battery out of the race car, and with the little 34 lb Minn Kota it scoots right along on highest speed.

The newer ones use a circuit board that won't tolerate 16v for very long. His old one is the "old" style that isn't as affected. Just don't try to run it while charging the battery. It charges at about 19v and that can't be good on electronics that are designed for 12v. The race car is a 100% 12v system that runs perfectly on 16v-only difference is that the headlights are brighter, the starter spins faster and when the electric fan is on it sounds like a Cessna taking off. Common mod on drag cars is to put a 16v battery in it.

turbotodd said:
If its an older trolling motor (not a newer one with sophisticated electronics) they'll go faster with a 16v battery. Dad's got a 1432, just a bare boat. Goes into the back of the truck. Pull the battery out of the race car, and with the little 34 lb Minn Kota it scoots right along on highest speed.

The newer ones use a circuit board that won't tolerate 16v for very long. His old one is the "old" style that isn't as affected. Just don't try to run it while charging the battery. It charges at about 19v and that can't be good on electronics that are designed for 12v. The race car is a 100% 12v system that runs perfectly on 16v-only difference is that the headlights are brighter, the starter spins faster and when the electric fan is on it sounds like a Cessna taking off. Common mod on drag cars is to put a 16v battery in it.
That's a cool thought... I only have a 12v battery though, just bought it, it's a marine dual purpose.

Latest posts