'78 9.9 conversion help needed...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LureheadEd

Reaction score
I've got a '78 Johnson rope start that I'm changing over this weekend to electric start, no charging stuff... The way I see it, all I need is the starter switch and wiring, the flywheel, the starter, and the bypass cover with starter mounting brackets...I've got 'em all... My problem is the gasket for the cover, I've never done a gasket... So I cleaned the old gasket material off of the cover today and went and bought some gasket material and cut a new one...But I don't know if it's the right material, it's a thin brown paper looking tan fiber stock (not the thicker cork or the gray fiber stuff) from Fel-Pro Gaskets... Say's it's for sealing oil, coolant, and gasoline...Did I get the right stuff ??? And what gasket sealant do I use ??? I'll try to post some pics....THANKS in advance for any input...

401198367.jpg
[/img]

Here's a pic of the cover, it's on the side of the block... What kind of gasket sealant do I use ????

401198370.jpg

401198366.jpg

Those gaskets are still readily available through a dealer if you want one. That system didn't use a solenoid by the way.....never hurts to use one though. I use an Evinrude/Johnson product called "Gasket Sealing Compound" on those gaskets. Looks like runny peanut butter for lack of a better description.

Finally got everything wired and together for a test start..... Absolutely the GREATEST thing I've ever done for this motor that I've had since '82 !!!! Push the button and the motor starts !!!!! Before I lock everything down, I think I'm going to coat all the electrical connections with liquid electrical tape....

A HUGE THANKS TO EVERYBODY THAT HELPED !!!!

Latest posts