Thinking of changing motors on m 16/48

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

possom813

Reaction score
I've been contemplating changing motors

I currently have a 1970 Johnson 40hp electric shift that is kind of finicky :roll:

It's console steer and I've had to make a lot of mods to make it work.

I've been contemplating removing the console and changing out the interior and moving to a tiller steer motor.

I have the opportunity to pick up a mid 80's 25hp Tiller Steer Evinrude with electric start and it also comes with the remote controls so I could keep the console if I decide I want to.

I know I'll be sacrificing performance with a 25hp motor, but how much would I actually lose? Fully loaded, with two guys, the boat will run 19-20mph(according to the jetski that paced us)

Any thoughts?

I have a heavy 1648. Fully loaded with gear and 2 adults, I get about 25-26 from a 2000 Johnson 25 tiller, elec. start. These are GPS numbers.

If that is an accurate speed with the 40hp, I wouldn't look to downsize unless I knew it was because the engine was on its last legs. If it is caused by the hull/load, dropping to a 25 may be very disappointing.

Well the 40hp on it is a 1970 Johnson electric shift that is pretty well on it's last legs, has been since probably 71 :lol:

The new motor, I'm not sure of the exact year yet, but it's mid 80's.

The 40hp is mounted, but I've had to manipulate the boat in several ways to make it work and the steering work right. Because of the mods to make the steering function properly, the motor can't be tilted up more than about 20 degrees. It definitely can't be locked.

It makes it unsafe in shallow water.

To use the 25hp, I'm going to have to redo the transom back to stock, not really a big deal, I was planning on that anyway.

I'm also going to redo the floor and decks, they're done with 3/4" plywood now(bought the boat like that)

But, the 25 will allow me to have more control over the boat, and I'll be right there at the engine if something goes wrong.

I've about convinced myself that I want the 25, just because I feel like it will be a safer boat for me and the kids, and it will open up the floor of the boat and make it a lot less cramped.

I don't feel that I'm going to lose a whole lot of speed, but I'm looking for opinions.

If I do get the 25, it's actually on a fully rigged crappie boat that needs a transom. I'll more-than-like build a new transom for that boat and stick the 40 on it for resale to pay for the changes to my boat.

If its only the motor, it is performing more like a 15-18hp. Sounds like you have access weight in the decks, but that depends on your spans. Since you are redoing them, you will be able to tell if there is water logged foam or trapped water, that might be compounding your problem.

Latest posts