2stroke oil 50:1...what do you use?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vahunter

Reaction score
I've been using Pennzoil 2 stroke oil in my 1995 25hp Johnson for a few years at 50:1, which is the recommended mixture. I use the boat year round from 20-100deg temps. I was told that Pennzoil sucks but they seem to sell it everywhere so it's convenient.

What is your favorite oil?

Do you adjust the mixture at all in different temps?

for the past two years my 40hp evinrude and 9.9 mariner have been fed wal-mart branded two stroke oil with no problems. My 25hp jet though has been fed quicksilver and will continue to be.

All of the few walmarts near me only sell Pennzoil and Quicksilver in sporting goods. Not sure which is better or worse but I always grab the Pennzoil.

somebody had to make it for walmart, or Quicksilver, whether its Pennzoil, or whoever. Walmart doesn't have a refinery to make their brand of 2cycle oil, nor their regular motor oil. If the label says it meets so and so requirements, etc., it should be good to go. Peace of mind is another whole issue. I've used Quicksilver but have a gallon of Pennzoil in the garage just waiting to be opened. i don't use enough of the oil to be concerned about the cost, no matter the brand.

I was told that my 1971 Merc 200 20 hp always has Mercury Quicksilver used in it, so I see no point in changing now. Actually the Quicksilver was cheaper at the boat shop that it was at Walmart.

I used to get refills of Johnson XD30 oil at a boat dealer. It was less than 1/2 the price of buying a new 1 gallon jug. Save your empty jugs and get them refilled, it can save you $$$

Johnson XD-30 is what I use on the older 2-strokes (anything that ran at 24:1 and 50:1) and XD-50 I recommend on the injected stuff. You get what you pay for in oil and the additive packages specified by the major engine manufacturers, plain and simple, cost alot of money. Large chain stores will supply 2-stroke oil at a lesser price for sure but with that price will come a lesser additive package. Fact is that there are fewer and fewer 2-strokes every day and I want to make mine last as long as possible. A little more spent on oil is still alot cheaper than a powerhead rebuild before you should have to. If I am in a pinch I will purchase the Merc equivalent, thats a good oil as well. Only oil we have seen that has produced any funny carbon build ups and fouling issues has been the Japanese brand.... Once we cleaned out the engines using OMC Engine Tuner and switched the customer over the issues went away. Hasn't happened often but often enough to make us take notice.

Quicksilver is my suggestion, just make sure its actual Marine oil and not the combination 2 cycle oils that are (supposedly) made for ATVs, weed eaters, motorcycles and everything else under the sun. Just make sure it is for Marine by a Marine manufacturer.

Latest posts