1988 Evinrude 15 HP water indicator problem

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AustinFromGA

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
The plastic elbow that comes out of the side of the engine was broken off when I bought the engine. The part I am talking about connects to the rubber tube, which ejects the water out of the motor cover/housing. I tried to replace the part, but I cannot because the motor housing gets in the way when I try to screw it in.

Anyone have any guidance on how to replace this part?

Thank you

I had that happen to mine on a bigger motor (trying to clean out dirt dobbers), but there was plenty of room to replace it (with brass this time). If the plastic piece is threaded into a plate, maybe you can remove the plate. Seems like you oughta be able to do it without pulling the powerhead, but I guess it's possible.

I had an overheating issue with an older 15hp Johnson. That elbow was always a pain to run a wire or something through it because of that bend. I saw an article (sorry, can't find it) on the web on how a guy replaced it with a straight through connector, drilled a small hole on the side of the cowling so the rubber hose could spit water out the side of the motor instead of down. It made clearing out temporary obstructions a lot easier. It wasn't very hard to do and allowed me to run more wire up through the water passages.

Latest posts