Pro's what is this?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flatsboater72

Reaction score
Hey guys got a question for the pros, what is this called and what exactly does it do and how does it do it? Also it came out of a 78 evi 25hp if any one can help me out tremendously please take a pic of their same motor on the right side and post it? The books and sites are leaving me with no info. Thanks guys you all are much appreciated!

SOLE.jpg

Sure looks to be a solenoid. Looks almost exactly like the ones that were used in the stupid electric shift lower units from '62 to '70. Course, that wouldn't explain it on yours, as the elec. was on motors larger than 40, and the last year they used that method was '72. Now, I could be wrong on what it is, especially seeing as the lack of mental awareness I have right now (quite a bit behind on sleep, and lack of coffee to top), but that sure seems to be what it is.

Where did you pull it from? That would probably help a lot.

pulled it from my motor! im thinkiing the previous owner/owners mixed matched a crap load of parts on this thing that dont even go with it..

Look kinda like some thing for a choke control - can you put up another pic with a coin or dollar bill so we can judge size?

bassboy1 said:
Sure looks to be a solenoid. Looks almost exactly like the ones that were used in the stupid electric shift lower units from '62 to '70. Course, that wouldn't explain it on yours, as the elec. was on motors larger than 40, and the last year they used that method was '72. Now, I could be wrong on what it is, especially seeing as the lack of mental awareness I have right now (quite a bit behind on sleep, and lack of coffee to top), but that sure seems to be what it is.

79 evinrude 25 hp

Flatsboater72 said:
bassboy1 said:

79 evinrude 25 hp
Sorry, should have been more specific. Where in that motor did you pull it from? Powerhead, Lower Unit, Just sitting inside the case, Port, Starboard?

bassboy1 said:
Flatsboater72 said:
bassboy1 said:

79 evinrude 25 hp
Sorry, should have been more specific. Where in that motor did you pull it from? Powerhead, Lower Unit, Just sitting inside the case, Port, Starboard?

yeah it mounts to the side of the carburetor I think its the electric choke solenoid from the 79 era.

Ahh. Thats it. After you mentioned that, I was able to go look it up in my manual. I didn't realize they had the electric choke back in the late 70s. I for some reason thought they came about 5 years later. It did look exactly like the shift solenoids from the 60s and early 70s. (Maybe thats why they made electric chokes. They finally realized that the electric shift was the stupidest thing ever, and ended up with a pile of leftover solenoids. :D )

What is the matter with it? Those things cannot be serviced, so the only way to fix a faulty one is to replace it.

No it works fine I was just wondering HOW it works just didnt know exactly. Also, when hooking up the the battery cables, one connects to the bottom front of the starter and one connects to the solenoid behind it? anyone got a pic? Yeah Im new to the boat motor scene hahaha.

Here is a quick shot of the starter motor of my dads 1979 Johnson 55.

Sorry about the bad picture, the florescent light in that section of the shop was acting goofy, so I held a flashlight over it, while snapping this picture.
newfolder008-1.jpg