40 hp mariner

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brendanarmour

Reaction score
hey guys i have a 40 hp mariner i just purchased and cant seem to find out what year it is. the plate on the side has 40e 6e9 L 409144 on it. it runs great but every once in a while it decides that it doesnt want to idle very good. i tried priming it and that doesnt seem to help so i will just use the fast idle lever and the very quickly pull into nuetral and slam it in forward. also i cant seem to upload video and i think it is because i am using my iphone to take it so can anyone tell me how to get around that? any advice would be awsome.

Attachments

• motor2.jpg
    motor2.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 484
  • motor.jpg
    motor.jpg
    727.4 KB · Views: 484
Considering they are a few thousand new you probably can consider you got a decent deal. ;).

This thread* should answer your year problem. Often, if you just Google ---Mariner--- and then your string of numbers....someone has already asked a similar question....somewhere on the 'net
regards, R

* https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=181183

I can see a little bit of the decal on the cowling and it looks the same as the 1983 25hp motor I have. So early to mid '80's is my guess.

Attachments

• IMG_5582.JPG
    IMG_5582.JPG
    470 KB · Views: 454
That's actually a Yamaha C40 motor. The serial is a dead giveaway. Yamaha used the "6E9" prefix for most of the 2 cylinder C40 outboards, all the way up until about 1997-ish when they went to 3 cylinder.

Yamaha built some outboards for Mariner, and that 40 is one of them. Many of the parts will interchange between a mid to late 80's C40 Yamaha and a mid to late 80's Mariner 40. I tried to pull up the serial # on Yamaha's system but nothing came up...but then again my 2000 model F25ESH doesn't come up either. Perhaps they do not keep records that far back. I don't know-I've never asked how far they go back.

The twin cylinder "C" 40's were not known to idle all that great, at least not compared to the C40 3 cylinder motors. IIRC, the idle specification is 900 RPM, 800-850 in gear. 5000-5500 wide open maximum. Most likely a good carb cleaning and syncing the linkage will solve the idle problem. Pilot jets are known to get clogged. Also the float valves can leak a little and cause exactly what you're describing.

thanks for the advise to all, @ turbotod i just reset the low speed jets and adle stop screw and the motor seems to be running out smooth but i will buy a carb and fuel pump kit just to have them for the future. she ran so good that i took the ole lady out and sure as sh#t she skunked me and here are pics to prove it..... all her's!

Attachments

• white bass 2012.zip
    207.9 KB · Views: 31
i would like to post video but when i tried it said mov file does not work. i am using an iphone 4s to shoot the video can anyone tell me how to get around this?

Latest posts