Fual Issues?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassin4fun

Reaction score
Fired up my 'Rude 15 hp today. New water pump, t-stat. Ran and peed like a champ! One issue though, it runs a while and then starves out unless I give the bulb a few little squeezes. When I pull the fuel line and let it sit for a bit, fuel seeps out the motor end of the line and hisses a bit. Hoping just the line is pulling too much air, or do I investgate a new fuel pump? Hopefully just a new fuel line assy?

What year was your grumman made? Mines an 89. I only have a 5 hp mercury on it. I hope you get your motor prob. worked out.

bassin4fun said:
Fired up my 'Rude 15 hp today. New water pump, t-stat. Ran and peed like a champ! One issue though, it runs a while and then starves out unless I give the bulb a few little squeezes. When I pull the fuel line and let it sit for a bit, fuel seeps out the motor end of the line and hisses a bit. Hoping just the line is pulling too much air, or do I investgate a new fuel pump? Hopefully just a new fuel line assy?
You need to clean out the carb!

Do NOT rebuild your carburetor yet!
If you can squeeze the primer bulb and the engine runs normally for a little while then the carburetor would be functioning normally. By squeezing the primer bulb you are taking the place of the engine pulse driven fuel pump and filling the carb fuel bowl by hand. From what you are saying the engine is running on the fuel in the bowl until it runs out.
You may have an air leak between the fuel pump and the tank or you may have a weak or failed fuel pump.

Pappy said:
Do NOT rebuild your carburetor yet!
If you can squeeze the primer bulb and the engine runs normally for a little while then the carburetor would be functioning normally. By squeezing the primer bulb you are taking the place of the engine pulse driven fuel pump and filling the carb fuel bowl by hand. From what you are saying the engine is running on the fuel in the bowl until it runs out.
You may have an air leak between the fuel pump and the tank or you may have a weak or failed fuel pump.
I agree it could be fuel pump but disagree that you can rule out the carb by providing fuel manually by squeezing primer bulb. I just had this happen, I had to manually pump primer bulb to keep fuel in bowl. After cleaning carb motor ran sweet.

I would inspect fuel pump and clean fuel filters before going into carb tho.

Thanks to all of you for the input. When I aquired this motor last fall, I knew that the carb was just redone that previous spring. Motor was used maybe 2-3 times since. Upon my t-stat, waterpump, camroller, replacement I was was doing a lot of looking around the motor, ya know just going thru things....nuttin' & boltin etc. Looked like the fuel pump had been recently replaced so, I figured between that and the recent carb job there was only the first simple fix left. Yup!!!!! you guessed it! A new fuel line assy.(Opted for the full assy, actually was thinking about replacing anyway just to be sure.) Motor idled sweetly on a stand with muffs for a 1/2 hr after replacing. Must have been that the old line was pulling just enough air to make that ol' 2 stroke CRABBY!!! Now just an open water test run and I'm hoping I'm good to go! Yay for the simple fixes! Happy boating all!

sirknight said:
What year was your grumman made? Mines an 89. I only have a 5 hp mercury on it. I hope you get your motor prob. worked out.

Sorry,I do not know the year of my Grumman. Even the title to the boat has no idea! All i know is that it's old enough that it doesn't even have a capacity plate on it! Just a small mfrs. plate on the transom.(Which is now covered by some wood for my trolling motor mount!) As long as it floats and planes.......life is good! :D And yes, thank you. I did figure out the motor prob. just replaced the fuel line assy.

....since no one has mentioned it might I add that this darn Ethanol gas is the worst fuel to run through any system! Sorry to insult some of you that live up North and may be corn growers! Down here I can get non ethanol gas but if I have to get fuel that has it I make sure to add treatment to every fill up to get rid of that crap.

Galveston340 said:
[Down here I can get non ethanol gas but if I have to get fuel that has it I make sure to add treatment to every fill up to get rid of that crap. [/b]

What kind of treatment removes the ethanol?

Gramps,
Ethanol is a corn alcohol that is blended into the gasoline. I think that ethanol would be very difficult to seperate out again. It is now 10% of the mixture but just wait, the polititions are trying to raise that percntatige to 15.

Regards, Keith

We can still get "non-oxygenated", no ethanol gas up north. It is sold at many gas stations in the premium pump and is labeled for outdoor equipment and collector vehicle use.

Latest posts