2000 johnson starter and random warning alarm?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

614-bass

Reaction score
Well i had some problems awhile ago with my motor dieing and i cleaned the carb now she runs great, better than it has since ive owned it. However the starter is acting up, on the first turn of the key with a full charged batt it will work but if try to choke it, it will not work it acts like its going to then it kinda clicks and makes the noise a drill makes when it cant turn anymore kinda a squeal. After i run the motor a bit sometimes it will start by the key but not always. It will kinda die off and make the squeal noise. When i cant start it with the key i just use the pull rope. But ever when i can hear the starter sounding normal it wont start the motor but with one pull of the rope it starts right up? anybody have a clue to whats going on? Also my RPM gauge has 4 lights that all light up and say no oil, hot, ect and it beeps when you turn the key over, for some reason it will randomly do that while the motor is running, its not a continuous alarm either its exactly what it does when you give the key a turn to start the motor a short beep and four lights that go off right a away one at a time. Im running oil 50:1 like i always have so im almost sure its not that, and its not overheating because that is a continuous beep and only the hot lights up. Ive read the manual and it says nothing about it. Could there be a short somewhere?
Thanks

The starter issue and the alarm issue are probably related.
The alarms are "resetting" due probably to a loose connection around the battery or engine. The System Check function goes through a self check each time the key switch is turned from the off position to the on position. Right now, with a loose connection it thinks that the system is being turned off and back on. Check each and every connection and tighten securely with something more than your fingers.
Your starter squealing may be the bendix giving up but find your electrical issue first and see if it doesnt cure both. I suspect it will.