Mariner 25hp long shaft for short shaft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDMCPHA2

Reaction score
I have a 25 Mariner Long shaft on my 14' and I need a short shaft. Can they be swapped? Who has them? How Much??

By the way, I'm new here and doing my first boat mod. Looking forward to all the input.

The motor screams and has, over the last 25 yrs, tore up the transome a few times (previous owner).

Thanks.

Attachments

• Before old transom wood removed.jpg
    Before old transom wood removed.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 330
  • Mariner 25hp Long lower unit.jpg
    Mariner 25hp Long lower unit.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 330
You have a couple of options.....

Offer to swap your long shaft for a short shaft. Since long shafts are often more in demand, that could work out well, though I'd have the short shaft motor reviewed by a competent mechanic before finalizing a deal.

Build up your transom to hold the long shaft.

Add a set-back plate to add height (this is the solution that worked on my 16 Carolina Skiff, though it was in place before I bought the boat.) The set back plate allows me to run shallower than without it.

Personally, if I had a good running older motor, I'd want to keep it ....if I could find a way.
regards, R

richg99 said:
You have a couple of options.....

Offer to swap your long shaft for a short shaft. Since long shafts are often more in demand, that could work out well, though I'd have the short shaft motor reviewed by a competent mechanic before finalizing a deal.

Build up your transom to hold the long shaft.

Add a set-back plate to add height (this is the solution that worked on my 16 Carolina Skiff, though it was in place before I bought the boat.) The set back plate allows me to run shallower than without it.

Personally, if I had a good running older motor, I'd want to keep it ....if I could find a way.
regards, R
+1

...unless you are wanting to run that motor in some "skinny" water like we do down here on the coast I'd just leave it as is.
Bulk up your transom so that it can take a beating! And if you are wanting to run in some shallow water you might consider a hydraulic jackplate so that you can raise the motor as needed.

Ok. So I keep the heavy, long shaft, runs like a raped ape motor and build up the transom.

Thanks for helping me with my first dilemma. I promis to bring you more..

Latest posts