1954 Johnson QD-14 10HP

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proyotehunter

Reaction score
Should I fix it or Should I sell this old tank? It looks brand new on the inside but I have not tried to start this one. I bought it for $200 to repair it.

That engine is built to last and will give you many years of service if you take the time to properly prepare the engine. This would include a total ignition service depending on when the engine was run last. A new water pump assembly or at the very least an impeller. Would pressure check the gearcase and change seals as necessary, again depending on if and when it was done. Install a new kit in the carb and new fuel lines under the hood and possibly on the double hose tank.
The engine absolutely has to be run on a 24:1 fuel/oil mixture and will run very well on it. It is a plain bearing engine vs a roller/needle bearing engine so no listening to Bubba or Billy Bob to the opposite!
Those engines had monster torque for the era they were used in and extremely good smooth running qualities. The gearcases were built like a tank also and turned a large propeller compared to later model 10s.

Absolutely agree with pappy! I've got a 57 10HP seahorse and is is amazing! I picked mine up for $50 and she runs amazing, super smooth, fast and I have no doubt she'll be running many more years to come! The only thing I can disagree with is, DO IT YOURSELF! gET THE MANUAL, replace the ignition, the seals, the carb kit, etc, you'll enjoy it even if you aren't a master outboard mechanic, you'll learn a lot and save a lot of money if you take your time and do it right. There is a wealth of knowledge here to help ya along the way.