Charging a battery w/ my motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UtahBassKicker said:
I have an '05 Johnson 15hp 4 stroke without electric start. Can I charge my battery with my motor?

You have to look at the wiring diagram for your engine. While it has some form of a magneto ignition, it might not have a rectifier installed. On some engines you can purchase that seperatly. Magneto charging systems provide low amp charging capacity. It is good to top off a battery, but would take many hours of high rpm running to charge one that has been run down by a trolling motor, etc.

As far as I know, only engines with electric start have a rectifier/charging regulator installed.

Pull-start engines don't use a battery for cranking, so, there's no need for it to charge a battery, therefore, no voltage regulator/rectifier.

I bought the motor used a year or two ago. I was looking for an electric start but ended finding this one in my price range. The guy I bought it from told me he thought I could add electric start to it but he didn't know for sure. I've never really needed it to be electric start or anything but recently I've been considering adding another 12V battery in the back to run a FF and what-not.

In general, if it doesn't have elec start, it would be unlikely to have a rectifier. Probably, more unlikely with newer motors. My manual only start, Nissan 18E did come with a rectifier, but have never wired it to a battery or light. Others I've seen have a place for, and was offered as optional equipment.

I have a 06 2 stroke 15. Its manuel start. there is a part that I can buy for it that will charge a battery.
For yours (assuming i have the model number right) it should be the part on this link.

https://shop2.evinrude.com/Index.aspx?s1=fpes1sojabadcq9m8stacocuu4&catalog_id=0&siteid=1

Hope this helps and good luck!

A couple of decades ago I had an old Chrysler 7.5hp outboard. It did not come stock with electric start, yet had everything there to hook up a pigtail plug to go to your battery. FuzzyGrub mentioned about charge rate and I can second it. It was fine enough to keep a battery topped off as long as I only used nav lights (night fishing) and the locator.

IMO, for the cost to convert your engine to charge a battery with the little output it will give, save your money. Go buy a small solar panel from Harbor Freight or someplace like that and you will be money ahead and get the same results.

JBooth said:
I have a 06 2 stroke 15. Its manuel start. there is a part that I can buy for it that will charge a battery.
For yours (assuming i have the model number right) it should be the part on this link.

https://shop2.evinrude.com/Index.aspx?s1=fpes1sojabadcq9m8stacocuu4&catalog_id=0&siteid=1

Hope this helps and good luck!

Thanks for the link, I'm still not sure what to even look at though. I saw that a rectifier, whatever that is, is $145. My guess is that it's probably not worth it at this point. Thanks again.

MattR said:
A couple of decades ago I had an old Chrysler 7.5hp outboard. It did not come stock with electric start, yet had everything there to hook up a pigtail plug to go to your battery. FuzzyGrub mentioned about charge rate and I can second it. It was fine enough to keep a battery topped off as long as I only used nav lights (night fishing) and the locator.

IMO, for the cost to convert your engine to charge a battery with the little output it will give, save your money. Go buy a small solar panel from Harbor Freight or someplace like that and you will be money ahead and get the same results.

You're probably right. I do use my gas motor for trolling quite a bit though so I thought it might be a viable option for charging for the amount I use it.

UtahBassKicker said:
Thanks for the link, I'm still not sure what to even look at though. I saw that a rectifier, whatever that is, is $145. My guess is that it's probably not worth it at this point. Thanks again.
Your stator/magneto produces alternating current (A/C) and your battery produces and needs direct current (D/C) for recharge. A rectifier is the electronic device that converts the A/C output of the motor to D/C so the battery can be recharged by it. If you're trolling with your outboard, that may supply enough voltage/amps to operate the nav lights and FF during trolling, so that there wouldn't be any drain on the battery as long as the motor was running.

I'll add that my pull start 15hp Honda that I bought new last year has a charging circuit. I ran the charging wire to a terminal on the transom (under the splash well) and attached my battery and trolling motor to it. I also installed an automatic reset circuit breaker at the battery.

Latest posts