how do i get my speedtwin apart

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

62kodiak

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 28hp 1962 evinrude speedtwin and I figured that I should change the water pump impeller and spark plugs. When I took it apart i noticed the lower crank seals were bad. I am trying to get the powerhead off of the rest of the engine but with no luck. I have broke almost every bolt that I have touched and even though all the bolts are either removed or the heads are broke off the powerhead doesn't seem to want to come off. Am I missing something?

I maybe wrong on your year model and hp of the motor but I just got back a smaller motor made by OMC and the repairman said that it was put together at the factory with 1/4-20 soft grade bolts. Might be a thought.

I know hind sight is 20/20 but he suggested on older motors to use a lot of penetrating oil on the bolts a day or two before taking the motor apart.. Don't hate me, I am only 66 today and we are working on motors almost as old as we are. End of deal.

I have taken the lower unit off and I am now trying to take the center section between the lower unit and powerhead off, but with no luck. I have been soaking it in aero kroil(penetrating lube) for about two days and it seems to be helping a little but they bolts are really stuck in there. Like brazosdon said, the motor is 50 years old so I wasn't expecting it to come apart very nicely, and I would probably have more patients if we hadn't experienced ice out almost a week ago.

There should also be a pair of 5/16" nuts to remove under the intake manifold....did you find and remove them?
If so then the powerhead is stuck on the corroded remains of the broken bolts that held it in place. You can get a prybar under that powerhead in a couple places and gently pry upward. It should eventually start to move. Once off you will need a pair of vice grips and at least some MAPP gas to heat around every broken bolt to remove it. Work slowly!

I am getting there. I have been soaking everything in aero kroil everyday for about a week and stuff is starting to break loose now. I did get the 2 nuts you mentioned.

For reassembly I am considering using Stainless steel fasteners and some loctite(probably blue). Is there anything wrong with using Stainless bolts on an outboard?

Good deal. I finally got the powerhead off. It took a little persuasion from a wood block and a 20oz ball peen hammer but it finally came loose.

Now the question is does anybody make a kit for replacing the lower crank seal for this motor? I know I can buy all the parts separately, but I would really like to save a little money with a kit.

Latest posts