MOTOR TROUBLES!!!!!!! Please help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dettmer13

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have a 1989 Johnson 25HP (Model J25RCEM) thats having a few issues. It was running rough (sneezing, oil on the plugs, not idling just dieing, and not running at full RPM) I put in a carb rebuild kit and now I've noticed the following issues:

-Will not fire up when fuel line is attached, but only when I fill the float bowl and disconnect the fuel hose.
-Prop still spins when in neutral (Just noticed this when I had the motor in the tank)
-Idle is still off, and when I adjust the fuel mixture screw, nothing happens.

Any help would be appreciated. I am new to boat motors but am not new to 2 stroke engines. It's getting pretty frustrating. Considering taking it to a outbaord mechanic but I need to save some serious $$$.

Just a few thoughts...
1) First, be sure to use 50:1 fuel mix.
2) When you rebuilt the carb, did you change the float valve and gasket, and adjust the float?
If the float valve isn't shutting off the fuel, then it could be flooding. Which probably lead you to disconnect the fuel line. Once you get this figured out, I think you should be able to get the idle dialed-in right.
3) Its normal for the prop to spin slowly in neutral. If its spinning like its in gear, then you got
a problem.

Ok dettmer did the motor run good when you bought it? Did you remove all the welch plugs (3 plugs I believe) and clean all the jets in the carb? All gaskets are in correct?

If your float valve is not shutting off then you will be able to pump the primer ball on your gas tank and literally push fuel up through the throat of your carb, not a good thing. If so take apart and see if something got stuck in the seat and like Jasper said, make sure you have float level correct.

Did you just purchase the motor?

Here's what I'm up against. I didn't adjust the float after I put it in, so that's most likely the problem. I didn't see a screw in there to do so with. I replaced all of the welch plugs as well and reseated them properly. Here's a picture of the carb. Can someone tell me how else I could approach this?

Attachments

• carb.png
    carb.png
    87.2 KB · Views: 743
dettmer,
you can goto this link below and download the Tech Info
below the picture.
It shows how to adjust the float. No screws involved at all.
Hang in there! You'll get her running sweet in no time.

https://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-7222&ptype=&Engine=&Model=

Attachments

• carb kit instructions.JPG
    carb kit instructions.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 739
When you take the carb off blow threw the fuel line like your making bubbles threw a straw in a drink. Flip it upside down and blow again. It should be sealed. A quick way to check the float

Bend the metal on the float to adjust it, a hair at a time

This is awesome. Thanks guys! I'll keep you posted with the results. As far as the prop spinning when shifted to idle. It spins pretty quickly. I'll have to check and see more about it when i get it fired up.

The prop should not be spinning fast enough to push your boat around at all in neutral. If you just have it on muffs it looks like it is spinning fast but when you get it in the water under a load it should hardly spin at all. It is your through prop exhaust that is spinning the motor and should not be the gears.

Latest posts