Purchase online or Dealer?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluejayz79

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I am sure this question may have been asked in the past. Has anyone ever bought an outboard online with shopoutboards.com or onlineoutboards.com? These sites seem to be priced reasonable, but i am a little weary on making a purchase online. I have the money to go new and am looking for either a 9-25hp. The Jon i have is a G3 1442 (Rated up to 25hp). I have a Mercury and Yamaha dealer in the area if need be. Granted i'll pay a little bit more for the motor. Also wondering if the 9.9hp will be enough to push the boat with a total of about 500lbs (Including motor). I live in New Hampshire. Thanks for the input, this forum is great.

Thanks
Chad

Go with at least a 20hp or you will regret it later. I would get the 25 if I were you. You can never have to much HP. If you can get a better price online then do it but make sure you have a service dealer near you for the motor you purchase.

My 9.9 did ok up to about #600 pounds total weight (boat, motor, and me and equipment) with no wind on a smooth lake. I added 150lbs and it turned into a dog. Made the 9.9 into a 15hp and it barely planed. Bought a 25hp this year and turned it into a 30hp and I am as happy as could be. I can push #1100 pounds in my boat without a problem now.

In 2008 I purchased a 18hp Nissan 4stroke from www.onlineoutboards.com. The outboard was shipped the same day and arrived to my driveway next to my boat 3 days later. Best purchase I've made in years. The outboard arrived in a very solid crate in perfect condition. This has been the best running outboard I've had. Four years later she still runs perfect and starts on the first touch on the electric start. I'd order from them anyday with confidence.

Price wise, I can't speak about Nissan or Tohatsu as we have no dealers local to me, as far as Mercury, my local dealer quoted me $2200 for a 9.9m, the web site you mentioned shows $2195. That for me would be a no question, buy from the local dealer unless we had issues. You do know that all the Merc's and Nissan's, 20hp and under are made by Tohatsu. I can offer that I have only heard good things about buying from onlineoutboards.com. I also agree with Johny25 get the most motor you can afford.

po1 said:
In 2008 I purchased a 18hp Nissan 4stroke from https://www.onlineoutboards.com. The outboard was shipped the same day and arrived to my driveway next to my boat 3 days later. Best purchase I've made in years. The outboard arrived in a very solid crate in perfect condition. This has been the best running outboard I've had. Four years later she still runs perfect and starts on the first touch on the electric start. I'd order from them anyday with confidence.

+1 I purchased my 20hp nissan from onlineoutboards (because of the price) I recieved it within a few days in perfect condition as stated above. I love it, the motor truely sips gas and pushes my boat just fine for my needs.

The main thing you want to check with local dealers to make sure they would perform warranty repairs if so needed. If you had to ship the motor for service, all savings will evaporate.

I purchased my Nissan 18E in '97 from a Tampa dealer who now sells online. It was on a business trip, and just had it put on air cargo. While a local dealer said they would perform warrantee work, was never needed. My even older 40C came from a hardware store bankrupcy. Boxed motor, no support, or warrantee, a great bargain, and no issues.

I'd buy another small outboard "long distance" motor again. If you need a dealer to do even minor maintenance, than maybe not.

Thanks for all the great info guys. I have been doing a ton of research and will reply back when i make a choice. Looks like i will most likely go bigger then a 9.9hp. Would rather go bigger instead of being dissapointed when i get out on the water.

Thanks again
Chad

Give your local dealer the chance to come as close to that price as possible. If we do not continue to support our local dealers then we will have none when it comes time to repair our engines or purchase parts!
Second, you can expect a local dealer to put his customers to the front of the line as far as any repairs (warranty or otherwise) go. These customers supported him when it came time to purchase an engine or a package and you did not.

Thanks for the help guys. I ended up going through the dealer and was very satisfied. Bought a 15hp manual Fourstroke. It moves my G3 1442 Flat bottom very nice. Your advice was very much appreciated.

Thanks
Chad

Latest posts