1973 Merc 7.5 EXTREME NEWBIE HERE!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBRMINER

Reaction score
so I got a 1973 Merc 75 which is a 7.5 Tiller. I was told it ran great when it was last ran in 2010, and had the lower unit serviced and impeller changed then too. The seller could not find the fuel hose. I went to 3 different shops and no one had the fitting for the fuel line I need all they had was for 98 and newer. does anyone know which one I need? the only Merc. dealer here is gander mountain and all they tried to do was sell me a new one.

I am hoping that it will fire up when I get the fuel line without trouble but we will see......

also, the motor won't lock down the pin is there and I have tried moving it but it won't make contact any ideas there?

again, I'm very new to boating so excuse my ignorance. Thanks!

If it has the original fuel connections on it, I think you need this connector on your fuel line in order to connect it to the motor.
https://store.oldmercs.com/product_p/22831t3.htm

If the connector on your motor looks like this, then you need the one I linked above.
https://www.crowleymarine.com/parts/5966.cfm

That is the connector that JMichael posted. =D>

I have a few old Mercs,great motors.They don't lock down until you put them in reverse gear. #-o

Excellent. So the one I had in my hand at Gander was the right one just the salesman created the doubt then wanted me to look at a new 9.9 lol I got the fittings (both pictured) and fuel line from Wal-mart for $10 for everything. they are closing out the "seasense" brand had had everything so cheap I bought it all I figured for $2 each if I had the wrong fitting it wouldn't matter. I think I'm ready to buy a quart of out and a few gallons of gas and get the trashcan out

Thanks guys!

I also have a 1973 mercury 7.5 tiller motor as well as a 1972. But yeah you can buy a universal fuel line and connector from Walmart. These motors are really easy to maintain, and I'm also new to boating since last year when I bought my first Jon boat....I bought a transom saver for my motor when towing the boat.

Pulled the carb and cleaned it now I got it running but couldn't run it too long because I noticed no water discharge On to replacing the impeller I guess.....

Latest posts