Won't idle. Electrical problem?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobscreekboy

Reaction score
I have a 1989 15 hp force that I just bought and I can't get it to idle. After finding some diagrams I learned that it had the wrong spark plugs in it so I got 2 new plugs, started it up, and it idled for a few minutes until I gave it some throttle then it wouldn't idle again. But not only will it not idle, it just runs rough all together. I found that if I run it at like half throttle and wiggle the tiller handle that it will run strong in spurts. It seems that when it quits and I check the plugs they are wet. I've tried playing with the one adjustment screw on the carb but it doesn't help at all. So I'm wondering if it's electrical (which I know nothing at all about) or if it's just getting too much fuel. I can keep it running above an idle but it still runs very rough.

Thanks

I've had similar problems before on a 15hp Johnson. Stuff I found through trial and error:

Defective primer bulb, stuck float in carb, and a pinched fuel line.

It's going to be an extremely rare occasion when you see an engine go from running normal to not running right because it's getting "too much" fuel. The vast majority of the time it will be an electrical problem in the ignition system or a fuel delivery problem, as is not getting enough fuel. Based on my experiences, the fuel system will get clogged or choked down because of trash or varnish blocking normal fuel flow or the fuel pump not working properly in most cases when it's a fuel related problem with an engine that's been stored. When it's an electrical problem it can be any number of things like old/fouled plugs or points, bad plug wires, shorts in the wiring from cracked insulation or bad/dirty grounds just to name a few.

Latest posts