1964 Evinrude pressurized gas tank?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shake n Bake

Reaction score
Hi I have a 1964 Evinrude sportwin 9.5. I bought a normal plastic 6 gal gas tank for it with what I think is the correct connector piece. I only got it to run for about 5 min but as soon as I got to full throttle it died. Then I started it back up and it only ran for about 2 min and died, then again and it ran for about a minute then died each time it was progressively harder to start. Now it will not start at all. This seems like its not getting gas. Does anyone know if these engines require one of the old metal pressurized gas tanks?

If you have one of the older plastic fuel tank, make sure to open the vent. If the vent won't open, make sure the fuel cap is tight then slightly loosen the fuel cap.

Your said you got a new tank, did you also get a new fuel line? You said you got what you think is the correct connector, if you, by mistake, got one for a newer Mercury/Yamaha it will not work, it will suck air at the connection. If we have eliminated the line and connector as the problem, it may be your fuel pump going/gone bad. Will the engine keep running if you pump the fuel bulb, if so the pump is probably gone. I think my first question should have been is this a new engine to you? If so you probably should think about a carb rebuild as it may be gummed up inside causing it to not let fuel in.

bbstacker1 said:
Your said you got a new tank, did you also get a new fuel line? You said you got what you think is the correct connector, if you, by mistake, got one for a newer Mercury/Yamaha it will not work, it will suck air at the connection. If we have eliminated the line and connector as the problem, it may be your fuel pump going/gone bad. Will the engine keep running if you pump the fuel bulb, if so the pump is probably gone. I think my first question should have been is this a new engine to you? If so you probably should think about a carb rebuild as it may be gummed up inside causing it to not let fuel in.

Thanks for the help. I definitely got an Evinrude connector and it does seem to click on correctly. The gas tank I got has no vent but I did try it with the cap slightly open and all the way closed. I did get a new fuel line with a fuel bulb and pumping the fuel bulb did not keep the engine running. This is a new engine to me and I'm thinking about having it serviced. Is there anything you would recommend me getting done to the engine besides fixing the current problem as preventative maintenance while its in the shop?

I would have the shop do a complete service, check the foot (change impeller, oil and reseal if required). Check the ignition over, do a tune up new (points, plugs, condensers) new coils and wires if needed. Rebuild the carb with a new plastic float and bring in your tank and line so they can check it over.
My guess they will find the carb is gunked up or it has a bad coil(s) causing it to not run.

Latest posts