Glowing Motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffh129

Reaction score
I took out my new 25hp electric start Mercury, with trim tilt Saturday for the third time. I was anchored and looking over the back of the transom. I heard a "pop" and looked over to the motor.
Coming from somewhere near or just below where the upper and lower meet, was a glowing orange ball. I won't call it a flame, but a glowing ball!!!! I immediately put my hand in the water, scooped up a handful and doused the hot ball!! To say I was freaked is an understatement.

Can anyone shed some light on this? How is this even possible?

Common occurrence on those 25hp merc's, especially after too much (or just the right amount some would say) wacky tobacco. :lol:

Actually I have no idea but it would definitely be looked into. Was the motor running at the time? The orange ball was outside the cowling or inside? Any fuel leaking into the water or strong gas odor?

Tim

Motor had been off at the time for about 20 minutes. No smell of gas before the incident. Four stroke motor. No visible signs of damage, it happened and was over in a second or two. I was not drinking :) The orange ball was outside the cowling

I would check the electrical connections at the motor, starter and charging circuit connections. Look for possible burn spots or any loose connections especially, check over all the wiring for melting insulation.
Tim

I just got back from the dealer. He pointed out the burnt ground strap to me, a thin wire, that had fried. So we know the problem is electrical. All they now have to figure out is why.

jeffh129 said:
I just got back from the dealer. He pointed out the burnt ground strap to me, a thin wire, that had fried. So we know the problem is electrical. All they now have to figure out is why.

If they don't find anything wrong with engine, check your side of the electrical. Pull all battery cables from all batteries. Ohm out each cable to your hull. If any show any resistance, you have an issue on that leg. It is shorting to the hull. When you put the electric start motor on, it makes a ground connection to the alum hull, and hence a current path.

jeffh129 said:

Is the ground strap corroded? Sounds like too much resistance for electrical path so it got hot. Many high amp wires such as battery wires look good on the outside but start to corrode on the inside.