2003 mercury 15hp 4stroke

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klamath14ftr

Reaction score
I am new here. Sorry If I did not do a proper introduction. I am from merced california. My name is Rob. I am having some trouble with my mercury. It has been sitting for a while. The last time I ran it, it did not run very well at idle and was cutting out at full throttle. I just got around to working on it the other day. I noticed that I am leaking oil from my prop. This was my dads motor and he bought it new. I know for a fact its never been serviced once. It has very low hours but I am sure it needs to be gone through. Does anyone have a manual on this motor? Or any pointers on pulling the bottom end of the motor off? Someone was saying if I put the impeller in wrong it will roach it instantly. I am going to be starting a conversion on my 14ft klamath v hull and I just want to know that my motor is solid before I start. If anyone out there could help with some of there knowledge that would be greatly appreciated!!

Rob

Rob, welcome to the forum.

First off let me say that I'm by no means a boat engine mechanic, but your story sounds just like me last summer.

I have a 2005 Merc 15 hp 4-stroke on my boat. The summer before last, it never saw the water. So, the motor sat for almost a full year without any maintenance. Last summer when it was getting time to get the boat ready for the water, the motor would not start. It would not fire at all. After a couple of days of fussing and cussing I decided to carry it to the pros. During the time I was messing with it, I noticed what looked like oil dripping from around the front of the prop. So, when I took it in to be worked on, I told them about the oil drip.

When I went to pick up the boat from being repaired, I talked to the person who actually did the work on the motor. Basically, here is what he told me:

The reason the engine would not fire was because the carbs were gummed up. He used an ultrasonic machine to get the gunk and gum out of the carbs, and replaced seals/gaskets. The oil leak was nothing. He took the prop off and checked the seal behind it, and found no leak. Upon closer inspection, what I thought was oil wasn't actually oil at all. It was a mixture of gas/oil/dirt/water that would run down the front of the motor shaft (transom side). It would collect on top of the prop assembly, run around the front of the prop and drip off of the bottom front of the prop.

He highly recommended disconnecting the gas line after each use and let the motor run itself out of fuel. Always use fresh gasoline, and use only non-ethanol gas. He stated that the ethanol gas is creating big problems with the gaskets and seals on boat motors.

I also bought a new tank and fuel line just for good measure.

After the trip to the mech, the engine ran great. Always started on 1st pull of the rope.

Fast forward to this season: Boat ran great the first couple of times out. Then one day it got to where it would not idle. At idle, it would spit and sputter and die. I just happened to notice a strong smell of gas around the rear of the boat and happened to look down and see that my 1 yr old gas line was leaking badly at the base of the primer bulb. I went to Wallyworld and picked up a new primer bulb, replaced the old bulb and it is back to running normal now. I really think the ethanol had eaten the rubber bulb up allowing it to draw more air than fuel at idle. So, check your fuel line and especially your rubber primer bulb for any pin holes and deterioration.

Hopefully your troubles turn out to be as small as mine and you'll get it up and running in no time.

Really like that joke,,(Use non ethanol gas)probably could get some on Mars ........!!

Thanks I am gonna go clean it up and fill it back up with fluid and see if it leaks and then try and start it. I might go get a new fuel line for good measure. I took the carb off and cleaned it the other day and put it back on. I need to get a new fuel filter too. I have never changed the impeller or water pump on this motor thats mainly what I was worried about. But if it starts and is pumping water properly I should be good I am assuming. Thanks for the warm welcoming

filled it up with fluids, changed the fuel filter, new gas, resealed the fuel pump with a tiny bit of silicone and it fired right up. I need to get a new primer bulb when I bend the hose where it connects to the primer and pump it, it will shoot gas out. It will only leak if you bend it pretty hard though. Other than that it ran smooth pumped water and sounded fine. Hopefully when I take it out and lake test it the thing will run the same as in the garage lol. I guess now I can decide on what to do on my conversion. I need to learn how to put some photos up on here so I can start a build thread.

Latest posts