how to fix

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willy

Reaction score
i have a 1956 johnson 5.5 how do you fix the recoil pulled the rope out of it

Just be carefull when you start taking the recoil apart, you should wear safety glasses or a shield if available. That recoil spring is a snake waiting to jump out and bite you if you don't use caution with it.

It's most likely the rope that broke. When you take it apart, for sure there will be some kind of spring that will want to explode out of the assembly, wear gloves and glasses. There may be some small stuff like little clips or weights that are part of the recoil clutch. Make sure they don't go flying. Easiest place to get that rope is any grass cutter dealer/service place. It's usually sold by the foot.

ok thanks i got it apart the spring is still ok. the rope broke at the knot. but i am having trouble getting it back together. any tips

yes it was still attached. I figured it out and got the new rope back on and it works now

now the next thing with this old motor is ajusting the carb. this one i have been working on for a while and cant get it right. i put new plugs wires coils packs and points. i can get it to run for a few minutes then dies. and i already checked the tank and that is all good