How to find non-ethanol gas

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wscruiser

Reaction score
I made a post in another thread about using non-ethanol gas and I guess the guy thought I was joking.

Contrary to what "the powers that be" want you to believe, ethanol gas is not "the answer". It cost more, your mpg's drop, and it is playing havoc on the rubber seals and hoses on your engine.

Non-ethanol gas IS STILL available. Follow this link to find non-ethanol gas in your area.

https://pure-gas.org/

Interesting didn't know anything like that existed, unfortunately the closest to me is about 90 miles.

Thanks for the link

Thanks for the link.
Most of us are probably covered where we live (or have given up). But this is great for those longer trips.

Nice.. 2 stations with in 10 miles.. I know where my thirsty merc will be drinking!!

Of course, y'all DO know how to test fuel to verify that you're paying the extra money for actual ethanol-free fuel, right?

Because there are some unscrupulous people out there that will sell ethanol fuel as non-ethanol. Don't let them rip you off!

All you need is a clear plastic or glass bottle, and a vial of blue food coloring. Put a sample of fuel in the bottle, and add about 3 drops of the food colorant. Then shake the bottle, and let it stand.

Since food coloring is water-based, if it's ethanol fuel, the food coloring will readily mix with the fuel, dyeing the entire batch one color.

If the fuel is pure non-ethanol fuel, and there is no water contamination, the droplets of blue food coloring will quickly settle to the bottom of the bottle, without mixing.

In older fuels (pre-1980's), the octane came from lead.

Then they switched to methyl tributyl ether (MTBE)

Supposedly, MTBE leaking from underground storage tanks contaminates groundwater, and that's why they changed to ethanol.

(Nah, don't put the tanks above ground, with a catch basin around them, that would be too easy to inspect and repair/replace them...instead, let's try some junk science like ethanol. Let's use something that costs more to produce, uses up the nation's food supply, driving up the cost of corn, as well as fuel, and not only that, but it will destroy your fuel system.)

So, now, the octane comes from ethanol, which is really a joke, since it takes 30% MORE ethanol fuel to produce the same amount of power as MTBE-based fuel.

And here's my rant........

I guess somebody has to tiptoe on eggshells and strangle themselves with environmental regulations to make up for the rest of the world's lack of concern for the environment, right? I reckon the US will burn corn in our vehicles, and try to read in the dark with our CFL bulbs, while countries like China spew pollution into the atmosphere unchecked, and take all our jobs, as it's so much cheaper to produce things in countries with no regulations.

Want to bring back the jobs? Make the UN do its job for a change, hold a global conference on environmental regulations, and make the rest of the world bring its regulations in line with the US, AND THE FIRST DOOR WE KNOCK ON IS CHINA'S. If countries don't bring their standards up, then, they are kicked out of the UN, and all their foreign aid, etc, is cut off. Impose economic sanctions against those countries, no importing to them, and no exporting from them. Hold their feet to the fire until they snap ****. If we did that, then, it would no longer be cheaper to produce goods overseas, and the jobs would return to the US.

This is why I'm not a diplomat, and will never be a politician... because my ideas make too much sense, and it's my way or the freakin' highway.

According to the above link, I have a station 26 miles from me with ethanol-free fuel. Its not reasonable to drive that distance every time I need fuel, but I would certainly do it occasionally in order to buy fuel for the boat.

I was just talking with a guy about this yesterday and he claimed that there was absolutely no ethanol-free gas available anywhere. He said that it was federal law that required all gas to contain ethanol. Is there any truth to this? If so, how do these places get away with not adding ethanol to the fuel? How long can we expect them to continue providing ethanol-free fuel?

I have definitely noticed fuel line deterioration since the introduction of ethanol fuel. A couple years ago, the fuel line on my motorcycle totally disintegrated and left me stranded about 120 miles from the nearest town....that sucked! I wish there were suppliers of non-ethanol fuel located everywhere so that we could have that option if we choose.

The link to the non alcohol extended fuels has been in here several times to date. If you cannot find a station near you in the list be aware that the list is rarely updated and keep looking. A good source is always an on-water pump, in a marina or elsewhere. They almost always pump fuel without alcohol.
NO, it is not against the law to manufacture fuels minus the alcohol in them!
And as far as the rant goes from PSG-1..........VOTE!............the sooner we get people in Washington that will listen to us the better! Remember, if we elect the idiot currently in the oval office to one more term you can kiss this country goodbye! He will be able to appoint up to 2 new (liberal) Supreme court justices who will render the 2nd ammendment rights and pretty much the Constitution useless.

txneal said:
According to the above link, I have a station 26 miles from me with ethanol-free fuel. Its not reasonable to drive that distance every time I need fuel, but I would certainly do it occasionally in order to buy fuel for the boat.

I was just talking with a guy about this yesterday and he claimed that there was absolutely no ethanol-free gas available anywhere. He said that it was federal law that required all gas to contain ethanol. Is there any truth to this? If so, how do these places get away with not adding ethanol to the fuel? How long can we expect them to continue providing ethanol-free fuel?

Ethanol fuel is absolutely prohibited for use in aviation, because at elevation where the temperature is colder, ethanol fuel can freeze, unlike MTBE based fuel. Marinas have also quit with ethanol fuel, because of all the issue with marine fuel systems using ethanol, and they now carry MTBE exclusively, at least, around here they do. So, I think there will ALWAYS be non-ethanol fuel out there somewhere.

I have definitely noticed fuel line deterioration since the introduction of ethanol fuel. A couple years ago, the fuel line on my motorcycle totally disintegrated and left me stranded about 120 miles from the nearest town....that sucked! I wish there were suppliers of non-ethanol fuel located everywhere so that we could have that option if we choose.

At least 75% of outboard engines and PWC's in the shop, are there because of issues related directly to ethanol fuel. I've seen internal carb parts eat up by this stuff, and I've seen a lot of outboard fuel lines where the interior layer seperated from the outer jacket, and collapsed, starving the motor for fuel....again, ethanol fuel.

Pappy said:
And as far as the rant goes from PSG-1..........VOTE!............the sooner we get people in Washington that will listen to us the better! Remember, if we elect the idiot currently in the oval office to one more term you can kiss this country goodbye! He will be able to appoint up to 2 new (liberal) Supreme court justices who will render the 2nd ammendment rights and pretty much the Constitution useless.

I couldn't agree with you more! As a gun owner and a member of the Patriot Movement, I clearly recognize the impending threat to our Constitutional Rights, by appointing liberal justices to the SCOTUS, and/or some kind of "executive order" on firearms ownership. because, if he's re-elected, he has nothing to lose, and he has a clear mandate to do whatever he **** well pleases, especially with all the damage he's done so far.

PSG-1 said:
Of course, y'all DO know how to test fuel to verify that you're paying the extra money for actual ethanol-free fuel, right?

Because there are some unscrupulous people out there that will sell ethanol fuel as non-ethanol. Don't let them rip you off!

All you need is a clear plastic or glass bottle, and a vial of blue food coloring. Put a sample of fuel in the bottle, and add about 3 drops of the food colorant. Then shake the bottle, and let it stand.

Since food coloring is water-based, if it's ethanol fuel, the food coloring will readily mix with the fuel, dyeing the entire batch one color.

If the fuel is pure non-ethanol fuel, and there is no water contamination, the droplets of blue food coloring will quickly settle to the bottom of the bottle, without mixing.

In older fuels (pre-1980's), the octane came from lead.

Then they switched to methyl tributyl ether (MTBE)

Supposedly, MTBE leaking from underground storage tanks contaminates groundwater, and that's why they changed to ethanol.

(Nah, don't put the tanks above ground, with a catch basin around them, that would be too easy to inspect and repair/replace them...instead, let's try some junk science like ethanol. Let's use something that costs more to produce, uses up the nation's food supply, driving up the cost of corn, as well as fuel, and not only that, but it will destroy your fuel system.)

So, now, the octane comes from ethanol, which is really a joke, since it takes 30% MORE ethanol fuel to produce the same amount of power as MTBE-based fuel.

And here's my rant........

I guess somebody has to tiptoe on eggshells and strangle themselves with environmental regulations to make up for the rest of the world's lack of concern for the environment, right? I reckon the US will burn corn in our vehicles, and try to read in the dark with our CFL bulbs, while countries like China spew pollution into the atmosphere unchecked, and take all our jobs, as it's so much cheaper to produce things in countries with no regulations.

Want to bring back the jobs? Make the UN do its job for a change, hold a global conference on environmental regulations, and make the rest of the world bring its regulations in line with the US, AND THE FIRST DOOR WE KNOCK ON IS CHINA'S. If countries don't bring their standards up, then, they are kicked out of the UN, and all their foreign aid, etc, is cut off. Impose economic sanctions against those countries, no importing to them, and no exporting from them. Hold their feet to the fire until they snap ****. If we did that, then, it would no longer be cheaper to produce goods overseas, and the jobs would return to the US.

This is why I'm not a diplomat, and will never be a politician... because my ideas make too much sense, and it's my way or the freakin' highway.

You go guy, heck I would vote for you if you ran for office!!!! - standing on the soapbox with PSG-1

I don't know whether political discussions are allowed on this forum or not, but I certainly agree that the 2nd Amendment is in grave danger if the wrong people are appointed to the Supreme Court. I keep hearing the liberal argument that the Obama administration has done absolutely nothing to threaten the 2nd Amendment and that those of us who believe otherwise are simply delusional. However, it is my belief that they are simply laying low with their intentions until that time when they can get the Supreme Court stacked in their favor. The anti-gun people are not going away and they will attempt to destroy the 2nd Amendment as soon as they know the Supreme Court is in their favor. Don't believe for a moment that Obama will not help to facilitate that if he were re-elected.

At least 75% of outboard engines and PWC's in the shop, are there because of issues related directly to ethanol fuel. I've seen internal carb parts eat up by this stuff, and I've seen a lot of outboard fuel lines where the interior layer seperated from the outer jacket, and collapsed, starving the motor for fuel....again, ethanol fuel.

My fuel tank us up front and I didn't want to run rubber fuel line all the way to the motor so I ran steal gas line instead. I have a couple of feed of rubber fuel line at the tank and the motor. It is suppose to be the stuff that is rate for ethanol but who really knows. Might be a good idea to inspect it or just replace it once a year, including the bulb.

The hard fuel line I bought has a coating on the outside to protect it from the elements and it just happens to be OD so it blends with the boat nicely. I ordered it from my local auto parts store (not AutoZone or any of those).

Another example of ethanol deterioration: I have an old fuel line that is probably over 20 years old and the bulb is still pliable and uncracked. I bought a brand new fuel line less than 2 years ago and, due to ethanol, the bulb is completely full of cracks and is useless!

Gramps50 said:
My fuel tank us up front and I didn't want to run rubber fuel line all the way to the motor so I ran steal gas line instead. I have a couple of feed of rubber fuel line at the tank and the motor. It is suppose to be the stuff that is rate for ethanol but who really knows. Might be a good idea to inspect it or just replace it once a year, including the bulb.

The hard fuel line I bought has a coating on the outside to protect it from the elements and it just happens to be OD so it blends with the boat nicely. I ordered it from my local auto parts store (not AutoZone or any of those).

Buy the blue colored fuel hose, as it is rated for use with ethanol.

I just redid all my fuel lines because of ethanol deterioration, it was replaced with some fancy yellow silicone hose that is supposed to be ethanol safe.

WhiteMoose said:
Is all 87 octane gas non-ethanol?

No almost all 87 octane contains ethanol. Most non-ethanol fuel is 91 or 92 octane at least here in MN.