Surface drive motor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucescoflathead

Reaction score
How well does a surface drive motor preform in a river thats deep.( say 10' or deeper) I'm not talking about a long tail motor mud motor. I've seen ones that are surface drive with a Kohler or Briggs power head. Thanks Todd

They do a great job. They dont care whether it is shallow or deep. They seem to be pretty dependable and will definitely take you to places you wouldnt ordinarily get to. Bad side is they tear the daylights out of everything they run across. One area I fish looked like a bomb went off over it after duck season this year.

my father-in-law manages a duck club in central illinois and had quite a few longtail and the surface drive ur talkin bout, from what i've run, as long as there is water, ur g2g. 1ft or 20ft speed wise both are similar, turn radius is a totally different monster! a motor that hangs back the same distance as the boat will take a lot of room to turn, I think the model you are looking at would be my preference. and btw, Pappy wasn't you up here in MI not too long ago?

gouran01 said:
my father-in-law manages a duck club in central illinois and had quite a few longtail and the surface drive ur talkin bout, from what i've run, as long as there is water, ur g2g. 1ft or 20ft speed wise both are similar, turn radius is a totally different monster! a motor that hangs back the same distance as the boat will take a lot of room to turn, I think the model you are looking at would be my preference. and btw, Pappy wasn't you up here in MI not too long ago?

Was in Mi. several years in a row up to a few years ago for Dealer Meetings when I did Applications Engineering for Volvo Penta. Would be in the Cadillac area for a couple weeks a year. Was in Il. at least once per year for Engineering updates when I worked for OMC. After a short time I found I missed the mosquitoes, Deer flies, hot humid weather, and love bugs and had to get home........

Not as fast as an equivalent outboard but not nearly as slow as a longtail. Sort of the best of both worlds, though.

It's what I would have if I had the coin right now to drop on a mm for my 1448.

Latest posts