Would you take the chance????

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm new to the site, but have been lurking for a couple months now, lol. I'll cut straight to the chase. I've been searching for an outboard for my 16' Seafarer, which is rated for upto a 40hp motor.

I have the opportunity to buy a 1989 Mercury 35hp motor with 2 tanks and hose, delivered to my house from 3.5 hours away, for 600$. There are a few motors in the 20hp range(Evinrudes, Johnsons and Mercs) which I could see running prior to buying, but my interest is really piqued with this 35hp.

I'm told it is "in good running order" (of course), but would you jump at this opportunity to buy the motor without seeing it run???

I appreciate any input.

Sounds like a good deal if it's really in good running condition. Perhaps you could have a barrel set up to run it in and have a can of gas mixed and ready to go when the guy arrives with it. Tell him you're going to fire it up before you hand over the cash.

You do not need a barrel - just the muffs and a hose

Have a battery with cables and the gas ready to go and see it fire up 1st

Captain Ahab said:
You do not need a barrel - just the muffs and a hose

Have a battery with cables and the gas ready to go and see it fire up 1st

FWIW: I prefer the barrel to get a better test. The water in the barrel will produce some back pressure on the exhaust. Can also run it in gear (at idle).

Any lake in the middle? You bring the test boat and $, and they bring the good running engine they promised.

No lakes in between. I like to go on my gut instict, and it's telling me this might be too good. The guy went from saying it runs fine, but could use a carb cleaning to I wouldn't run it without the carb beng cleaned. I'm leaning towards not buying this thing now. Got a feeling it might be more headache than it's worth.....

EDIT: Decided not to buy as the guy refused to have the motor run before handing over the cash. His "story" about the motor changed 4 more times so I figured somethings up..... Thanks for the input though gents.

Latest posts