67 evinrude not pumping water?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikeordie092

Reaction score
ok, so i filled up a wheelbarrow type thing with water today to show my little brother how my 67 18hp runs. i started the motor, it ran good, i thought... then i noticed it wasnt puking water out the exhaust like normal, so i took the lower unit off to take a peek at the impeller, which is in surprisingly great condition.... any ideas on this issue? the last time i had it out on the lake it pumped water great...

Your static water line when you run the engine out of "the lake", in a barrel of any kind, must be well above the split line where the gearcase meets the exhaust housing. Around the lower mount area would be a good area to fill a barrel to before starting and running. Your water pump was probably not able to properly prime and therefore pump water assuming you did not have the engine that deep in your "wheelbarrow type thing".

Well that makes sense... now that I've drained the gear oil do u know what weight I should use to fill it up? The guy that had it before me did all the maintenance before I got it so I don't know what to fill her back up with...

Buy the right lubricant! Go to a marine dealer and see if they have the correct lube for Johnson/Evinrude and if not, use a Mercury lubricant. Most of the stuff you purchase from an auto parts store is not designed for this usage and has no ability to mix with water and still protect the rotating parts inside.

bikeordie092 said:
And how does this "fill from the bottom"thing work? Lol if u can't tell, I work in cars more than boats lol
Watch the video and read if necessary.
https://boatinglocal.com/videos/video-how-to-change-your-outboard%E2%80%99s-lower-unit-oil.html

I'm not familiar with '67 Evinrudes, but my 2007 Johnson did that to me last year. It turned out that the water pump indicator was clogged. The water stream only shows that the pump is working...the water that comes out the "pee-hole" doesn't circulate through the engine...in other words, if your indicator is clogged, your pump is still working. Now I keep a short piece of weed eater line in my tackle box...it fits the whole perfectly, but won't pierce the water hose inside.

jeko1958 said:
Oh, yeah...I googled a couple photos...it's not like the new ones. Sorry, I my bad!

lol its cool, i believe it was just that the water was not deep enough, but i stole the impeller out of this one to fiddle around with the other motor i bought and havent bothered to put it back yet lol