oil level screw stripped and siezed in place...help!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sask tracker 1542

Reaction score
I have a 1973 evinrude 18 HP that was given to me by my father in law. He told me it was winterized but when i pulled the lower oil drain srew a small amount of water came out along with dirty brown oil.

My other issue is that the upper oil level screw is siezed in that hole and no mater what I do I cant bust it free, Any ideas?

the scer is a flat slotted screw and its kind of worn and partially stripped as well.. im assuming from previous attempts to remove it.

the only penetrating stuff i had was WD40 which isnt ideal but it was all i had.

OK one broken slotted screwdriver later I got it.....But now that there's evidence of water what do i have to replace to make sure it doesnt get in there again?

I am no expert nor a mechanic...but..probably a blown/cut seal. Often happens when fishing line gets wrapped around the prop and cuts the seal inside.

I don't know how one replaces it, but someone will post here soon I am sure. Lots of really smart fellows on this site.

Rich

Yes Rich i hope someone can tell me whats next. I succefully pulled the water pump apart and it does need a water pump kit.

I havent pulled the gear case apart because honestly this part scares me. and once i open that spaghetti seal I know im ordering a gear case seal kit as well.

I hope someone can tell me a way to keep the water out without me having to rebuild the gear case.