Full trottle

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanoeJon

Reaction score
I have a 76 35 hp rude it want take full throttle. Idle good starts first pull revs in nuetral, about a third throttle in gear and loads up and will die if you dont back off. Any suggestions i dont have a clue the only thing i havent done is timing but it starts so good and idles around the lake perfect.

Sounds like a fuel delivery problem, plugged high speed orifice, float stuck, fuel tank vent hose restricted, fuel system air leak, clogged fuel filter, float setting incorrect. Or leaf plate bent or broken?

I would start with the carburetor myself and be sure it is clean of all debri and float is set correct. Also try squeezing the hand ball on the fuel tank when this happens, if it speeds up and corrects the problem you have a bad fuel pump.

I'm not sure if you indicated that it died near full-throttle, but when I first got my 2007 Johnson, it would cut-off on me if I was alone in the boat and running wide open (if I had someone with me it was fine). What was happening, was the engine was over-revving, and cutting itself off (I don't know if '76 Evinrudes had that feature). I solved the problem, by getting a new prop with greater pitch. This resulted in the prop pushing more water, and in turn lowering the RPMs. Theoretically, this is supposed to give you a slower hole-shot, but I never noticed the difference!

jeko1958 said:
I'm not sure if you indicated that it died near full-throttle, but when I first got my 2007 Johnson, it would cut-off on me if I was alone in the boat and running wide open (if I had someone with me it was fine). What was happening, was the engine was over-revving, and cutting itself off (I don't know if '76 Evinrudes had that feature). I solved the problem, by getting a new prop with greater pitch. This resulted in the prop pushing more water, and in turn lowering the RPMs. Theoretically, this is supposed to give you a slower hole-shot, but I never noticed the difference!

99.999.9% positive the 76's do not have that feature.....i had the throttle/cut-off on my 80 seahorse 25. low speed needle adjustment and that solved it.

Ok I am Canoejon had creat a new login under the wife forgot password. Anyway thanks for the suggestions I opened the carb. again found nothing. But when installing again I found a piese of linkage someone jacked with and basicaly took full throttle away. Everything works starts runs like a scalded a........ Anyway its all good for a 100$ motor.

Latest posts