Trottle jams/stuck in neutral?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt24

Reaction score
Motor is a 90hp 1992 Evinrude. I haven't had the boat long, but had been out a handful of times just riding and didn't notice this problem. Over the weekend, went on a fishing trip and we tie jugs to trees catfishing. Well there's alot of forward/reverse forward/reverse pulling up to trees, backing away. The first afternoon we get going, putting out jugs and I notice right away trying to give a little trottle, pull back to neutral, idle, little more throttle etc...notice that I'm having a heck of a time getting out of neutral about half the time. Like 2 hands and shoving into gear. Same problem occasionally into reverse but not as often. Anyway dealt with it all weekend, never broke anything (that I know), never any grinding or terrible noise, just a pita to get outta neutral. I'm hoping someone can give me an idea of what to look at or what I'm looking for that's causing it. I don't think it can be too complicated and if someone can give me some instruction I'm not scared to tear into to see what needs fixed. Appreciate any help/advice. Thanks.

Divide and conquer..........Remove the control cables at the engne connections and shift the control box and see how easy it is. If not easy the issues is in the control box or cables. One cable may be bent and is now on its way to breakage.
If easy then shift the engine (with engine off) by hand. Should be fairly easy as well. You may need to rock the prop back and forth a little while you are doing this. If difficult then pull your lower drain screw and see what is on the magnet. A little fuzz is okay....chunks are not good. Good luck.

Latest posts