Bringing a 1970 Evinrude 18 back to life.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siskiyoublues

Reaction score
Hey guys I am trying to bring my motor back to life. Can't get it to start after it left me stranded on the res a couple weeks ago.
Started out by cleaning the tank, fresh mix and fresh plugs. Pulled on the starter for about as long as I could take. Heard some popping at the end and after 30 minutes of yanking smelled a little two stroke in the air.
Not sure what to do but I know I want to try to do it myself but have really no experience.
Thanks,
Carl

Spray some fuel oil mix into the carb if the motor pops you have a fuel issue carb, fuel pump, ect.

OK thanks. New problem, I was out there yanking on the starter rope and it just went slack on me, I turned the flywheel to coil it back up and it doesn't seem to be under tension anymore. Think I made things worse.
Here's to being humbled repeatedly.

Just wanted to update, got everything back together and got this bad boy running yesterday. Compression and spark looked good so I cleaned the carb and finally got it running. One note is I had a bad habit of getting the spark plug wires crossed. But anyway it runs, and it started this morning after two pulls. Best it's ever run since I got it and I learned a few things getting it there.