96 15 Mercury prop replacement help...?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoiled Daddy

Reaction score
I just bought a little SmokerCraft with a 96 Mercury 2 stroke 15 on it. The prop was really scuffed up on the fins and I was going to replace it. I found a brand new prop in the box under the rear seat while cleaning out the boat, but cannot get the nut to spin off the shaft so I can switch it out.

How much tork does it usually take to break the nut free? I really don't need to break something right off the bat and add to the expense of this project.

Thanks!

Tom

Use a piece of a 2x4 between prop blade and cav plate. In neutral and spark plug wires removed. Check to see if you have a cotter pin or the metal star, that prevents the nut from backing out. 55-60lbs, is what I think flow torque props use. It takes a bit of umph. ;) Do you have allot of corrosion by the nut/shaft?

im not sure if your mercury is like my mariner, but my mariner just has a plastic-like nut. no key or anything.

Good morning and thanks. I did pull the plug wires and blocked the prop with it in neutral. No cotter pin or star. That nut just won't budge. It isn't showing signs of corrosion either. I will soak it down with some Corrosion X and try it later this afternoon.

Thanks again.

Tom

Make sure you are going the right way on the wrench. Threads may not be standard counter clockwise to loosen. Might need a breaker bar on that too.

I took the locking nut off that is in the picture, soaked it in Corrosion X and it still won't come off.

So...?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Tom

Attachments

• Prop.jpg
    Prop.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 348

Latest posts