Question about grease fittings on 2007 Yamaha 25 HP

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSG-1

Reaction score
My neighbor has a 2007 Yamaha 2 stroke 25 HP. This morning, he asked me to look at the grease fittings on his motor and see if I could help him figure it out. The tilt is very sticky and difficult to move the motor up and down (manual tilt)

The first thing I noticed was a lack of zerk fittings on the tilt tube. Where there should have been zerk fittings, there were 2 holes. :?:

Same thing with the grease fitting on the lever that locks the rear of the cowling in place....no fitting, just a hole.

Oddly, they DID have a zerk fitting for the steering, but that was the only one I saw.

Is there some kind of special fitting that's used for these motors, or did they simply forget to install zerk fittings at the factory?

The tilt pivot tube holes are "blind" holes. On the earlier model twin carb 25's, there were grease fittings. IIRC, they were M6x1.0 thread. The later model twin carb 25's did not have fittings-only blind holes where the machining process "dimpled" them for the fittings to be later installed by another robot on the assembly line.

There is only one grease fitting on the later twin carb models-and it's on the steering pivot. Just above the fitting is a 10mm bolt head sitting there all by itself...and that is the steering friction adjustment which noone seems to know about. Just a little bit of adjustment there will snug the steering right up and it will feel like a brand new motor again.

The sticking tilt is more than likely either (1) a bent tilt tube, (2) the nuts on the ends of the tilt tube are too tight (3) the bushings are all worn out and binding it all up. Those are the 3 most common causes. I've seen more than one broken/chipped clamp bracket...the piece that "stops" the motor if it flips up after "dry docking" or hitting a log, stick, stump, rock, or whatever. And they are fun to replace. Before going through any more drastic stuff, ask the neighbor if he's tightened the nuts on the tilt tube. If he has, there lies the problem.

I also had messed with one 25 a while back that the clamp bracket was actually tweaked and causing binding tilt. But that was a rare one...that motor had been beat to hades and back. The only thing that wasn't broken was the engine.

Wow, I cannot believe they didn't put grease fittings on these engines! Who was in charge of QC at the factory that day?! #-o

Earlier today, I looked at a parts diagram, and sure enough, the only grease fitting shown was for the steering pivot.

When I looked at the motor this morning, I did mention that he might be able to free it up a little by loosening the nuts on the tilt tube by about 1/2 a turn or so, and see if that helps. Seriously, it's so tight right now, I jokingly told him if it got any worse, he wouldn't need a tilt pin, because the motor would just about stay where you put it, by itself.

I know there's nothing damaged causing this, because he's pretty careful with his engine, he doesn't jump sandbars or impact anything that would bend the tube.

So, based on this info about the lack or zerk fittings.....I'll go over there and help him fiddle with it tomorrow, and see if we can adjust the nuts on the tilt tube, see if that fixes it.

Latest posts